Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow laptop - too many processes running at once

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 superb33s

superb33s

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

Hello - my laptop has been slow lately. I opened task manager and have 57 processes running at the same time - I cannot really identify what these are except for that all/most of them are .exe files. I've run my virus-scan and also run spysweeper and still can't get under the 57.

I have a screen shot I'll attach. Can someone help me and tell me how to fix this issue? What is the normal amount of processes that should be running? My computer keeps locking up.

Thanks,

Emily

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:17 PM

There's only about 19 processes showing in your screen shot. Could you attach a screenshot after you click on the "Show process from all users" button?

The only one's that I'd suggest removing (on the current screenshot) are the AOL/AIM and Adobe Flash one's.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 superb33s

superb33s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:21 PM

Sorry about that. Here you go.

Please, someone help.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:37 AM

My concern here is with the number of instances of the task scheduler (taskeng.exe) that are running - do you have that many tasks running?

FWIW, I've got 66 processes running on my system. I only have 3 taskeng.exe processes running. I've got 12 svchost.exe processes also.

None of the processes seems out of line - so I suspect that the issue isn't due to too many processes running - rather that your system is limited by one of the resources on the system.

I'd suggest clicking on the View menu item, then on Select columns. Check the box to show I/O Reads and then click OK to accept the changes. Then double click on the I/O Reads column in Task Manager to sort that column by size. Let us know the top entries and their image names (what we're looking for here are numbers that are significantly higher than the normal I/O Reads).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 superb33s

superb33s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:12 PM

Hi. I don't even know what task scheduler is. So I don't understand your question or knowingly have that many running, whatever they are. I did what you said and made a new screen shot. Does this tell you anything? Thank you so much for helping me!

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:31 PM

It says that your Trend Network Security software (TmPfw.exe) is taking up a lot of time while reading your hard drive. If it wasn't doing a scan at that time, I'd suspect that it may be corrupted. If so, then I'd suggest uninstalling it and reinstalling it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users