Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to access certain web pages

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brus brother

brus brother

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:00 PM

This problem has been plaguing a buddy for months. There are certain websites that he can no longer access. I tried for hours with his Yahoo/ATT DSL support but they were unable to help. The problem is the same in IE and Firefox.
Among the sites that cannot be reached is BLEEPINGCOMPUTER.COM Drats!
The various sites can be opened on my computer but I haven't tried to bring my laptop to his home yet. Likely it's not the DSL connection but something in the belly of the beast.
There doesn't seem to be any sites that are blocked in his security settings either.
We tried lowering security and turning off firewalls but nothing seems to help. What am I dealing with here??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:25 PM

Hi brus brother,

Some forms of malware specifically block tech support sites. Check his computer for malware first by running a couple of scans like Malware Bytes, Superantispyware and Spybot S&D. If these all come up clean, have him post a HijackThis log to the malware forum. There are instructions for posting there at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Zllio

#3 brus brother

brus brother
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

Thank you so much.
Ran Malware Bytes removed 230 objects and all is well. :thumbsup:

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:05 PM

Hi brus brother,
Malware Bytes is a useful tool. With that many items turning up, I recommend a tool like CCleaner to clean out all your cookies, temporary internet files, history, temp files, and logs. In particular, the temp files harbor files which can cause trojans to reinstall themselves. If it is help sites that have been blocked, then it's possible that your computer was infected with a trojan and giving the link I gave you in post 2 a try would be worth it to make sure your computer stays clean.
Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users