Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Browser Crash with Flash Games and Movies

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Weegie

Weegie

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:52 PM

I've been having this problem ever since I got my new computer. I have no idea what the problem could be, and unfortunately it's very hard to re-create.

Occasionally, when watching flash movies or playing flash games, Firefox will crash. I'm not familiar with the difference between hard and soft crashes, but in any case, the window will simply disappear, and I'll receive that now ever-so-familiar message: "We're sorry, but Firefox has encountered a problem and has crashed. Blah de blah de blah". (Not the Windows one, mind you, the Firefox one)

This problem carried over from Firefox 2 into Firefox 3, and will even occur in Internet Explorer from time to time.It's been driving me up the wall for months, and it's very inconsistent. A few months ago, I wasn't able to watch the newest Zero Punctuation review all the way through without it crashing. And now, I can watch videos, but games like Pandemic 2 will invariably crash for no reason whatsoever. In fact, the only place I've been to where the crashes can be re-created are the Gamespot forums, wherein loading a page will cause the browser to crash, but only Firefox, not IE. Not a huge loss at any rate, I'm well aware, but I figure that mentioning it may be helpful.

Also, I used to receive RAM errors, such as "the address at 0x04AEF85048 (paraphrased, obviously >_>) could not be 'read'", which would cause programs to crash. Strangely enough they've all but vanished now, and I didn't even try anything to fix those. Just figured I'd mention it.

Things I have tried:
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling Flash, including registry entries.
  • Installing the newest, as well as older versions of Flash.
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox, as well as all of my plugins.
  • Browsing with all of my Firefox plugins disabled.
  • Checking my RAM for errors using Memcheck.
  • Changing my graphics card.
I'm really at a loss here, and any help whatsoever would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Edit: Argh, sorry. I forgot to post my specs. Just in case they're relevant, I'll post em anyway:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
GPU: XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra
RAM: 2 GB
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Mobo: Asus P5N-E SLI
HD: Western Digital 320 GB, sadly I don't know much else.

If anything else might be relevant, I'd be happy to add it.

Edited by Weegie, 12 October 2008 - 03:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users