Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo Mail

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ronswold

ronswold

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 02:24 PM

I am getting this error message "sorry bad request your browser sent a request that this server could not understand" when I try to download individual emails.The error does not occur all the time and appears without warning.After the error appears it repeats on every email I try to select but after some time it disappears.
Can anyone give me any help to clear the error?
Thanks
ronswold

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:53 PM

Hi runswold,

I'm not sure which browser you're using, but if you're using FireFox, try going to Tools and Clear Private Data and click on that. See if that helps.

Zllio

#3 ronswold

ronswold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:40 PM

Hi Zllio,
sorry for the delayed reply to your suggestion-I could not access your email due to the appearance of this "Bad Request" error.
I have been using Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 3 and have tried clearing History,Private Data etc without success.
I tried Windows Live Mail today and have connected to all my emails without any problem.
Not sure where this leaves me as the program appears to use the Internet Explorer Browser which still produces the "Bad Request" error when I try to browse any emails through my BTYahoo! Home Page.
ronswold

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 02:58 PM

Hi Zllio,
sorry for the delayed reply to your suggestion-I could not access your email due to the appearance of this "Bad Request" error.
I have been using Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 3 and have tried clearing History,Private Data etc without success.
I tried Windows Live Mail today and have connected to all my emails without any problem.
Not sure where this leaves me as the program appears to use the Internet Explorer Browser which still produces the "Bad Request" error when I try to browse any emails through my BTYahoo! Home Page.
ronswold

Hi runswold,
Does the error appear in yahoo only when you use Internet Explorer but not in Firefox? Or does the browser not matter?

#5 ronswold

ronswold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:47 PM

Hi Zllio-the error appears in BTYahoo Mail with Internet Explorer and Firefox but it does not appear if I use Windows Livemail to view my emails and it appears that Windows Livemail uses the Internet Explorer Browser.
I tried to download the BTYahoo! Web Browser but the download screen froze and I had to close the computer and open it up again.
Thanks for your help.
ronswold

#6 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

This error may be caused if you are being forced to use the BT Yahoo browser. In the following thread, it recommends overriding a setting which BTYahoo is creating by going to Start / Control Panel / Add Remove Programs. Once there, on the left hand side, you'll see a button called Set Program Access and Defaults. It may be possible by changing the access to override a setting BT Yahoo is causing, that you can get rid of this problem. See if the information in the following thread might be applicable to your problem.

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread18454.html

#7 ronswold

ronswold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:53 PM

Hi Zlllio-I tried out your suggestion without any success.
I have spoken to BTYAhoo! Mail today and after an hour of investigation they said that the error message is caused by an incompatibilty issue between the makeup of modern emails and the BTYahoo! Classic Email Browser which has not been updated for some time and will always produce the error message I am getting.
They have introduced a new email browser which is a Beta Version at present but it does not produce the error messages and they suggest that I use that now.
They did say that the error messages were caused by Internet Explorer but when I told them that the messages were also produced by Firefox they decided against this cause.
Windows LiveMail does not produce any error messages either so I have 2 sources for error free emails.
Thanks for your interest and suggestions.
Ronswold

#8 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

Hi ronswold,
I hate to show my ignorance, but is BTYahoo mail part of British Telecom? Is the email browser you are referring to somehow different than the normal Classic Email that Yahoo uses everywhere?
Zllio

#9 ronswold

ronswold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:24 PM

Hi Zllio-Yes British Telecom are the ISP running BT Total Broadband which consists of BTYahoo.com and BTYahoo Mail the email browser.
The broadband and email services result from a joint venture by British Telecom and Yahoo.
I believe there are differences between BTYahoo Mail and Yahoo Mail.
I have found that my BTYahoo Mail downloads without error messages if I use UK/Yahoo.com as my home page.
Ronswold

#10 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:08 PM

In the U.S. AOL and Yahoo entered into such a venture as well, but their venture seems to be working. What you are experiencing sounds like a bug in the system somewhere. Sorry I don't have any better ideas than pestering them to figure it out and fix it. The next upgrade will hopefully do that.
Good luck!
Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users