Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

failed to wipe computer properly?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Esme

Esme

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:59 PM

I have a Dell Latitude D600 laptop, Windows XP home

I tried to wipe my computer clean and reload XP on it (so that it would be like it just came out of the box) but I think I messed it up.

I booted up the computer and ran it on the Windows XP CD. Everything went fine and now my computer is like it is brand new.
Now, I went to plug in the ethernet cord (it runs from the modem to my room, through the floor) but I still can't connect to the internet and I'm unsure why.
When I go to start, I try to go to "connect to" but there is not that option there.
I went through control panel to internet connections, and there is no local area connections or anything in my list of internet connections; it's blank.
I went to setup an internet connection but it didn't work (maybe this is the solution but I'm just not doing it right?).
I figured that if I plugged the cord in the computer would just pick up new hardware or something, but it's not... so I'm afraid that I've killed my computer. I'd like to fix it myself rather than bringing it into the shop, if possible.

Did I do anything wrong while wiping my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:21 PM

Most likely you haven't installed the drivers that are needed to allow Windows to communicate with your hardware.
To check, go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Are there a bunch of red x's or yellow !'s? If so, that's the cause.

Visit the Dell Support website here and enter your service tag number to get the drivers that you need: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...;l=en&s=gen

Edited by usasma, 12 October 2008 - 05:22 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:28 AM

Your ISP supplys a Disk to Install the Drivers needed to access the Net. That is what you need. If you don't have one? just Ring them to get one?

:thumbsup:

#4 Esme

Esme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:19 PM

what do i download though?

#5 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:29 PM

heres all the downloads for your laptop
choose network

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downl...=WW1&osl=EN

this is the driver you need
save to cd and install on laptop

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downl...p;fileid=176964

#6 sonohuey

sonohuey

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:52 AM

Hey Esme,

I have gone through this a few times in the past week or two. I have re-formatted several computers, two of which were Dell computers.

You need to go to: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx

Enter the service code (7 digits consisting of letters and numbers) and it will bring up your make and model. Download the drivers for Networking and install them on your computer. Then, plug in our network cable and you will be all set to go.

It's very easy to do. Good luck.

Edited by sonohuey, 14 October 2008 - 08:52 AM.

#7 Esme

Esme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:59 PM

thanks everyone, I've downloaded all the drivers needed and it works now. :thumbsup:

#8 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:10 PM

Your Wewlcome

Thanks for letting us know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users