Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Security updates install?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mommu

mommu

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 30 April 2005 - 10:00 PM

I have a Windows 98SE OS, with IE6 SP1 Web Browser. About 25% of the updates say that I need IE6 with SP1 to install this update. I have just reinstalled IE6 and SP1 and updated from Windows Update and still get the same message when attempting to install some updates that I have saved. I even checked the IE6 SP1 CD and have some that give the same message. Does anyone have any suggestions that may help? Is it critical that I have these updates since they will not install? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:12 AM

I'm not sure,but why you need to "save" updates has me confused for a start.If
you choose"SAVE" they are saved to a default folder,but choose "OPEN"&they
download &install directly to your hard drive.I think 98 box asks "Run from server"
which is the "same option".YOU'd only ever do this from a server you trust implicitly.Never had a problem installing windows updates ,happens automatically
& I run 98 sometimes,but hardly ever updated as its not "supported" anymore.
For some downloads needed an "extractor" which is on site ,& a "shutdown supplement"Win98-solved reluctant shutdown problem.Hope this helps in some small way.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 07:05 AM

Go to Windows Update and check your installation history. Some of those updates want to install over and over.

Windows Updates still supports 98 but only with critical updates. Beyond that, nothing new is being developed.

I even checked the IE6 SP1 CD

How old is this CD. The updates may be newer than what is on that CD.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 mommu

mommu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:14 AM

CD is fairly recent. I burn them as the updates are added to my computer. I checked through "Run, winver" and discovered that my compu thinks it has win98 only. Everywhere else it says I have Win98SE which it is supposed to have. I wonder if this has anything to do with the update problem.

#5 mommu

mommu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:28 AM

to Deodar
The updates are all listed in the C:/ tree. I have placed some on my desktop. And yes when I download them from the Update website it says that they have successfully been installed but when I go through them one-by- one am given the message on about 25% that "this update requires IE6 and SP1. A few days ago update informed that I needed Outlook Express 1 and SP1 so I downloaded and installed it. Well just today it said I needed it again. I checked the "installation history" and sure enough it showed that this had been successfully installed a few days ago. So I installed it again. I have security and will be adding a firewall as soon as CD arrives, I don't know if maybe something is eating up my updates :thumbsup: :inlove: or if I just have a very confused compu. :flowers: Maybe I am confused :trumpet:

#6 mommu

mommu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:47 AM

When there are more current Updates does that prevent older one from installing?
I had decided today to uninstall IE6 SP1 and reinstall it but just checked the Add/Remove and it shows that I have it installed. Now my concern is the Second Edition of Win98 must be missing. Something else for me to investigate. I will just ignore the updates that will not install. I just did a Find for the Outlook Express 6 SP1 that I installed today and a ver dated 6/12/04 was found. When I clicked on Open It gave me the "requires IE6 SP1 to be installed. What to do, What to do. :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: (these are sooo cute) mommu
thank you all for your interest. I am still interested in suggestions.

#7 newbeee

newbeee

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:35 PM

Hi mommu,
Just food for thought, go to C drive,open Windows, scroll down toward the bottom and open "Windows update log", uncheck "always use this program to open this file" then open with notepad or wordpad. You'll see all the updates that you have installed. The 3rd column tells you if it was success or error. If error :thumbsup: , look at the error code. On a friends win98se, (for ie6Sp1) look for something like "Local path c:WUTempcom_microsoft.ie6_SP1_Win98_WinME_Sept04_refresh_5575_ie6sp1.
One other thing to look at, when you launch internet explorer, go to the top,click Help,about Internet Explorer, look at version ( 6.0.2800.1106) and update versions should be SP1 plus all the critical updates you've done pertaining to IE6SP1
I personally shut down after each install, then boot back up, goto start, windows update, disable my Norton, remove all except the last one, and install. It's time consuming, but it works for me. :flowers:
good luck,
newbeee

#8 mommu

mommu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:51 PM

To Newbee
Thank you so much. I found the log and it shows a bzillion successful installs. I have never checked the log before. Truthfully, I am totally ignorant of the logs except for the dialUp one. This is great. I did find the IEver 6.0.2800.11061S. I think the 1S is because this is a customized ver of IE. I usually download and install several before reboot but I will try your suggestion. It is probably the best way. :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: Thanks again. mommu

#9 mommu

mommu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:32 PM

Thanks to Newbeee, I think I have found the problem. In checking the Windows Update log I have discovered many errors 0x80072F76 and 0x80004004. I have not been disabling the Virus program and Web accelerator. I have a lot of backtracking to do. Update just had me download and install OE6 SP1 again. This is now 3 days in a row for that Update. :thumbsup:

#10 newbeee

newbeee

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 05:43 PM

Hi again,
If you go to support.microsoft.com and type your error code in the upper right, that my explain a few problems. When I disable my Norton, I hit control/alt/delete and "end Task" on ccapp, wait a few seconds and it pops up again, I hit end task. I'm not advising anyone to do this, just explaining how I do it. Everyone here is so helpful, I'm sure that someone can assist you in accomplishing your critical updates :thumbsup:
good luck,
newbeee

#11 mommu

mommu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:55 AM

Hello everyone,
yes I am still having problems. Each day I logon to Internet, Update notifys me that critical update for Outlook Express SP1. Each time I install and update says install is successful. But the next day Update starts all over again. I have found a failed install of MSVCRT.dll which, if I am reading the IE log correctly after attempting a IE fix, may be part of the problem. Still need help. Thanks for all you have given so far.

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2005 - 05:38 AM

Hi mommu

Have a look at Windows Update Troubleshooter. I found one of the errors from your log there.

In Add/Remove programs, if Internet Explorer is in there, you can sometimes run a repair. If not I would suggest you roll it back to a previous version if you can, and then try and update it from there.

Another MS resource you can look at is You Cannot Finish Installing or Upgrading Internet Explorer.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:41 AM

Install Everest Home Edition, (the successor of AIDA32) which is a system information and benchmarking tool with full hardware & software information available as freeware for the individual user. It comes with a built-in hardware database and physical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disks, optical drives, chipset and much more. The information can be displayed on-screen, printed, or saved as a report in HTML or text format. The built in diagnostics module can help you find potential problems, by higlighting them in the report and also includes links to manufacturers web sites, driver updates and more. An easy to use report wizard allows you to create detailed reports in the format of your choice. It will give you access to complete information for all software (including upgrades and service pacs and whether they were sucessfully instralled or not) and hardware on your computer including references to the latest drivers, etc.

Download
Here:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.p...ang=en&pageid=3
or here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html

#14 mommu

mommu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:30 PM

Enthusiast,

Thank you for the tip on Everest Home Edition. I have checked out several diagnostic software but they seen to be difficult to understand and work with. This one is just what I needed. It has set my mind at ease. //Reported that it seems that I my system is ready and setup for Windows 2000 and suggested that I consider upgrading. I may do that just for fun. It reported everycomponent and hardware and OS as I knew it was. Even gave Web URL's to update drivers and files. ( But Update is confused. I will just ignore the continual OE6 SP1 update notification that pops up each time that I Dial Up the internet.) I do need to do some tweaking for .NET Framework 1.1. There is a error code. But that is another issue. I have just ordered a new Compu with Windows xp, 512 Ram, 80 GB Hard Drive, DVD, CD-RW, and lots of other goodies. Thank all of you so much for your feedback.

#15 mommu

mommu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:46 PM

Hi Leurgy
Thank you for the info. I will try them both. I gave a more detailed message to Enthusiast so rather tham repeat it I will say Ditto to you.and I appreciate your help very much :thumbsup: :flowers:
mommu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users