Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing files and printer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 eirik

eirik

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:56 AM

Hi.

I have a desktop computer with a ASUS P5K-E WiFI motherboard running XP SP3.

The mb has two network chipsets, a Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Ethernet Controller, and a RealtekRTL8187 802.11b/g wireless adapter.

After a bit of stress, I managed to set up the ASUS WiFI Solo utility, a program allowing me to use an antenna connected to the mb, and let my desktop computer function as an access point for internet access.

My laptop is able to connect to the wireless and to internet.

I have both my laptop and my desktop in the same workgroup, SILVERNET, and on the laptop I have shared some files and folders.
When my laptop is connected to the access point I can access the shared files on the laptop from my desktop.

My problem is that file sharing does not work on my desktop. I would like to share my music folder for instance, and connect my laptop to my stereo.
These are things I do not understand:

Under System properties - Computer name, I have set up desktop and SILVERNET as workgroup.
Both the wireless and ethernet adapters have Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks protocols clicked and installed.
However, when I open up My network places - Entire network - Microsoft windows network - Silvernet, the desktop does not appear.
If the laptop is connected, it will show up here and I can access the laptop files.
If it is not connected, when I try to browse SILVERNET, I get an error message stating that SILVERNET is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
This is of course not correct, because I am computer administrator with all rights on both my desktop and laptop.
If I try to go to any folder in Windows Explorer and click Sharing and Security, all checkboxes (Make folder private and Share this folder on the network) are greyed out.
I cannot click anything.

I have Windows firewall disabled, and Comodo Firewall Pro installed. As far as I know, there are no "Do not share files on the network settings" options in Comodo. I have checked, but maybe I have missed it? Anyway, when I turn my firewall off, it doesn't change the Sharing and Security.

Any ideas?

Why does my computer not appear in my workgroup?
Why can't I share files and printers?

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,

Eirik

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:50 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/47775/enabling-file-and-printer-sharing-in-windows-xp/

That should help you out a bit.
Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users