Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a multi-session software capability.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:45 AM

Hello Bleepers!

I've been looking for a multi-session software which will allow me to burn data to the same CD at different times.

I've tried Nero StartSmart, CopyToDVD, and BurnAware - but nowhere on these can I find a checkbox for the oρtion to multi-session a CD.

I also tried MagicISO.

I'd appreciate any help.

Bone Idol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:06 AM

multi-session software which will allow me to burn data to the same CD at different times

I use DeepBurner.
That's one of the first things it asks, when you start it up. :thumbsup:
First, your asked project type; Data, Audio, ISO
Next, your asked multisession, append session, or no multisession.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 02:52 AM

I think you are looking for FREEWARE software because Nero supports all kinds of burning you can imagine. Here is software you can grab:

1. Nero Burning Rom (commercial)
2. Roxio (commercial)

3. DeepBurner (FREEware) this works for Windows95/98/Millennium/2000/XP/Vista
4. CDBurnerXP (FREEware) this requires .NET to be installed and only for WinXP and above.

#4 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:26 AM

I think you are looking for FREEWARE software because Nero supports all kinds of burning you can imagine. Here is software you can grab:

1. Nero Burning Rom (commercial)
2. Roxio (commercial)

3. DeepBurner (FREEware) this works for Windows95/98/Millennium/2000/XP/Vista
4. CDBurnerXP (FREEware) this requires .NET to be installed and only for WinXP and above.

Thanks Romeo.

I've got Nero Burning Rom and DeepBurner.

I'll check those out again.

Update: My Nero Burning ROM couldn't handle the file type (.bmp) - "Unexpected File Format" - and aborted the job.

I'll try your others, Romeo and tg.

Update: DeepBurner worked brilliantly. Had no problem with the .bmp files.

Thanks heaps.

One thing - the pop-up panel at the end makes no sense to me...

Posted Image

The disk has already ejected before this message appears. Save what changes - to what?

Edited by Bone Idol, 12 October 2008 - 05:35 AM.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:11 AM

It's just asking if you want to save the session, for possible future burning of any identical disks.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:21 AM

Nero has a multi-session feature, I see it all the time.

http://tsc.bus.wisc.edu/cl/nero_files/nero.htm , scroll down to Copying Files Onto CD.

Louis

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:27 AM

His problem with Nero, is that it doesn't recognize .bmp files:

My Nero Burning ROM couldn't handle the file type (.bmp) - "Unexpected File Format" - and aborted the job.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:06 PM

Aaahhh, my error...thanks, tg1911 :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:23 PM

It's just asking if you want to save the session, for possible future burning of any identical disks.

I don't get it. I'm a newbie.

The data piece that I've just burnt is now already saved to the multisession disk, and the source of this data is from my own hard drive.

So why ask me if I want to save the session?

Whoa. I've just had an idea.

Do they mean save ALL of the sessions that I've burnt onto this disk? Save the entire disk of all its multisessional contents into one package on my hard drive? I think this must be it.

If that's it, then the message is very poorly worded. It should read something like: Would you like to save the disk's total compilation?

THAT I would understand immediately.

Thanks, tg, for helping me to think this through.

#10 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:28 PM

Aaahhh, my error...thanks, tg1911 :thumbsup:.

Louis

Thanks for your interest, hamluis.

I've found DeepBurner to be exactly what I was looking for -- and it's newbie-friendly. :flowers:

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:45 PM

You're quite welcome, Bone Idol.

Say you burned some files, to give to a friend.
Now, 2 other friends would like a copy, also.
If you had saved the session, you would just need to open DeepBurner, click File / Open, and select the session you saved.
Saves the trouble of having to hunt for all the files you've burned before, and drag them into the burning program, again.
Of course, if you move any of the files that were in the saved session, it makes the saved session null, and void, since DeepBurner won't be able to find the needed files, because they're not where they used to be.

Personally, I never save sessions, because I'm always moving files around, and re-organizing things.
Besides, it's not that hard to find, and drag the needed files, into the program.

Hope this explains it, a little better.
If not, let me know and I'll try another way. :thumbsup:

#12 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

You're quite welcome, Bone Idol.

Say you burned some files, to give to a friend.
Now, 2 other friends would like a copy, also.
If you had saved the session, you would just need to open DeepBurner, click File / Open, and select the session you saved.
Saves the trouble of having to hunt for all the files you've burned before, and drag them into the burning program, again.
Of course, if you move any of the files that were in the saved session, it makes the saved session null, and void, since DeepBurner won't be able to find the needed files, because they're not where they used to be.

Personally, I never save sessions, because I'm always moving files around, and re-organizing things.
Besides, it's not that hard to find, and drag the needed files, into the program.

Hope this explains it, a little better.
If not, let me know and I'll try another way. :thumbsup:

Sorry, but I'm now back to being thoroughly confused again, and it's about the word 'session'.

I'm assuming that 'session' refers to a single burning task. So... 'would you like to save the session' must be referring only to the last files that I've burnt to disc in the one 'session'. It doesn't refer to all the rest of the files I have previously burnt to this multisession disc.

Posted Image

I still haven't the faintest idea what this notice is asking me.

I'll just keep clicking 'Yes' and hope for the best.

Edited by Bone Idol, 12 October 2008 - 09:06 PM.

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:12 PM

From when you open DeepBurner, until you close it, is a session.
Unless you want to save the session, to burn at some other time, as in making copies of the disk, click NO.

This has nothing to do with the multi-session disk you are creating.
That information is on the disk, and is going nowhere.

Have you read the Help Files, for DeepBurner?
Help / Contents / Working with DeepBurner / Save compilation

If you want to save the current compilation of data or audio files for the later use, DeepBurner allows you to do that. If you choose to close the program with having files in the Data and/or Audio CD windows, the program will ask whether you want to save changes or not.

Edited by tg1911, 12 October 2008 - 10:18 PM.

#14 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:56 PM

From when you open DeepBurner, until you close it, is a session.
Unless you want to save the session, to burn at some other time, as in making copies of the disk, click NO.

Thanks, tg - but I give up. It simply makes no sense to me.

This has nothing to do with the multi-session disk you are creating.
That information is on the disk, and is going nowhere.

Have you read the Help Files, for DeepBurner?

Yes I have - and it reads like total gibberish to me.

Help / Contents / Working with DeepBurner / Save compilation

If you want to save the current compilation of data or audio files for the later use, DeepBurner allows you to do that. If you choose to close the program with having files in the Data and/or Audio CD windows, the program will ask whether you want to save changes or not.

Absolutely indecipherable gibberish.

I'll just keep pressing the 'No' button.

Thanks, tg.

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:45 AM

You open DeepBurner, load the files you want to burn, burn them, then close DeepBurner.
That's a session.
I can't make it any simpler than that.

Example:
File A, File B, File C, are burned to disk, and you close DeepBurner.
That's a session.
If you want to burn the same files (A, B, C) at a later date, you save the session.
Let's say you saved it, and called it, "Family Photos".

What you are saving, is the location of the files, so DeepBurner will know where to look for them, the next time you want to make copies, of the same files.
You're not actually saving any files, just the location of the files.

Say 2 weeks from now, a family member wants a copy of the photos.
Instead of having to locate, and drag, A, B, and C, back into the burning window, you just click File, then Open, and select the name of the file you want to burn (Family Photos).
DeepBurner will then automatically load files A, B, and C, and all you have to do is hit the Burn button.

DeepBurner loads A, B, and C for you, automatically, so you don't have to do it manually.
That's all there is to it.
I think you're trying to make it more complicated, than it is, but I'm not giving up, until you get it. :thumbsup:

Edited by tg1911, 13 October 2008 - 12:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users