Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big problem involving partition/XP install..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ldiablo233

ldiablo233

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:10 PM

I'm not sure how it happened but I turned the pc on after my dad was on and when it logged on it had the windows classic taskbar. The drivers for the modem and audio card where somehow uninstalled and all system restores where gone. Windows where freezing easily or would take a long time to pop up, even the msconfig window froze when I would click apply. I proceded to reinstall windows and not format since I have files I want to keep. It said it would delete the old windows files and install new ones and keep my files. Now I have a new setup of XP with my old XP username files still there, but I don't know how to get back to the log in screen for those usernames. Biggest problem is not being able to get to the files because there password protected. I have gotten around this with administrator once before and gained access to a passworded folder but I'm not sure how I did and would rather not have to set everything up again. Last time I reinstalled windows I did it the same way and it just came up with the same log in screen with the old usernames and all the settings where the same, This time it asked me to make new screen names and I did, not sure if I would've been able to just click continue.

I only have one partition so I'm wondering how can I go back to those old usernames?

If not how do I set the access for the folders so I can copy over the files?

Also how do I adjust my screen from lagging when I scroll, if I remember correctly its set like that when you first install?

If its possible to uninstall this XP, how do I do it?

Edited by ldiablo233, 11 October 2008 - 07:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:28 PM

If its possible to uninstall this XP, how do I do it?

Do you have a XP cd or a set of repair disks that came with your computer?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ldiablo233

ldiablo233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:43 PM

The reinstall XP disk that is specific for this Dell pc.

EDIT:I gained access to my protected folder so I am able to copy all files over if needed but would really like to get back to the old usernames.

And if I do unistall this XP(being its the only one on my drive) and I'm left with no OS will my files for the users still be installed on my C: drive?

Perhaps I installed the new XP onto fat32 rather the NFTS? how do I choose?

Edited by ldiablo233, 11 October 2008 - 08:25 PM.

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:44 AM

Personally I would burn your Data onto CD/DVDs before doing another thing, unless the Data is expendable? You are playing around with Fire at the moment with your System, so a Back Up is needed just in case!

FAT32 and NTFS are not compatible on the same partition. It depends on which system was Formated on it? Install will not alter it, only a reformat.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:40 AM

There are several different ways to reinstall Windows:
a - Repair Install (replaces Windows files only)
b - Parallel Install (installs another copy on the same drive) - NOT RECOMMENDED
c - Format and install (wipes out everything and starts over fresh)

As Abacus_7 states, I would first backup your stuff so you don't lose it. This is always a good idea and helps when a drive crashes and you lose 3 years worth of work (to include your wedding photos) - yep, I did that! :thumbsup:

If you "uninstall" Windows - that'll usually remove the contents of the entire drive. This depends on how you uninstall it.

But, you can just create new accounts to get the usernames that you want and transfer the data over to the new accounts. Then you can delete the present account(s) - BUT DO NOT DELETE the built in Administrator account!!!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users