Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most of my programs won't run

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 john_bosma

john_bosma

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:53 PM

Yesterday I uninstalled a couple old programs, then cleaned my registry with cCleaner. However, now, after a reboot, most exe's won't run including: add/remove prgrams, firefox, intel wireless, regedit and others. Also, those that do open have error messages and are limited in what they can do. I've tried system restore to no avail and I'm not sure where to go next.
Thanks,
John

edit: also I thought I should add that my pc has had booting issues for quite some time, mainly an infinite boot loop if I don't touch anything.

Edited by john_bosma, 11 October 2008 - 06:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:35 PM

I don't suppose you backed up your registry first, did you? Do you have a XP CD?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 john_bosma

john_bosma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:47 PM

Yeah I do most of the time, let me check if I have a recent registry backup. As for the XP cd, not with me at college, it's at home 3 hours away.

edit: won't let me restore registry backups (dll error)

Edited by john_bosma, 11 October 2008 - 07:50 PM.

#4 john_bosma

john_bosma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

I fixed a couple of the programs by reinstalling (Firefox, Intel wireless), but doing so only fixed those programs and did nothing for the bigger problems (control panel and regedit)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:46 AM

What's the exact error message on the infinite loop?

To get an error message that you can read, Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

Have you done any scans for malware?

Try to borrow someone's XP Home CD (or have them burn you a copy). It must be the same version as installed on your system.

After you are positive you have no malware issues...do a repair install, using the CD obtained and your correct XP key/license.

Louis

#6 john_bosma

john_bosma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

Checked for malware with Spybot SD, and disabled automatic reboot, but it did the same thing, it loads all the way to the login, but then if I don't login within about 10 seconds, it reboots completely. I would love to do a repair install, but nobody I know has xp media center 2005, which poses a slight problem.
Thanks,
John

#7 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:21 PM

have you tried a system restore

Open windows Task Manager
Press Ctrl Alt And Delete on your keyboard
Next click on File New Task(run)

Copy and paste this in the RUN

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe

click ok
Choose a restore point before you had this problem
This should work if you got restore points saved

#8 john_bosma

john_bosma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:30 PM

yeah I've tried multiple restore points each of which restarts the computer, then tells me it couldn't restore because no changes have been made. I know that isn't the case because I even tried a point before I installed sp3 for xp, to see if that would work, but I got the same message.

#9 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:41 PM

Are you able to check these keys

There are certain keys in the Registry that tells Windows not allow users access to some features, such as RegEdit, Task Manger, System Restore, the Run Window, and even access to the Task Bar. These keys maybe located in either or both Registry Hives HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_ MACHINE. The Key names are SOFTWARE\ Policies\ Microsoft\ Windows NT\ SystemRestore
Software\ Policies \Microsoft\ Internet Explorer\ Restrictions
Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Policies\ System
and they Value Names are DisableSR - DisableTaskMgr - DisallowRun - DisableRegistryTools and one more nasty trick these Trojans use is NoControlPanel, which stop you from opening the Control Panel.
If any of these Value Names exist at any of the Keys and the Data Value equals 1 then the item is disabled for your use. You need to either edit the Registry the Data Value to zero or delete the Value Name.

Edited by mme, 12 October 2008 - 06:42 PM.

#10 john_bosma

john_bosma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:27 PM

I looked them up with a 3rd party registry editor because regedit doesn't work, and they all come up with 0's and a couple weren't there. I have been reinstalling some of the programs that weren't working right, like my antivirus software. I'll check my computer when they're done installing to see if there was something there. Now, I seem to have problems in random programs, most likely the cause of a missing or bad dll or a bunch of them. I'm not sure how to make the add/remove programs or regedit and whatever problems I haven't found go back to normal without a repair install. Is this my only option at this point?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:04 PM

If you have MCE 2005...you should have a recovery/restore partition or disks. I am not referring to Windows system restore function.

Yes...no???

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#12 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

You could try a non-destructive repair with your windows cd

or try these commands

You can use the Regsvr32 tool (Regsvr32.exe) to register and un-register object linking and embedding (OLE) controls such as dynamic-link library (DLL) or ActiveX Controls (OCX) files that are self-registerable. This may be necessary to troubleshoot some issues with Windows, Microsoft Internet Explorer, or other programs. Go to: Start/Run

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll (restores registry settings for html and http)
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll
regsvr32 msi.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll
regsvr32 /i shell32 (restores registry settings for drives, folders, and some others)
regsvr32 sendmail

its worth a try but a repair with windows cd should do it
and like your doing you will have reinstall programs
but a non-destructive repair wont cause you to lose any data
just go to windows updates and update your computer

#13 john_bosma

john_bosma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:22 PM

They all ran except for regsvr32 Mshtml.dll, which gave me the error:

"Mshtml.dll was loaded, but the DllRegistryServer entry point was not found.

This File Cannot Be Registered."

I'm not sure what they did, but none of them seemed to change anything relating to the errors I've been having. I sure wish I wasn't a six hour drive from having my windows cd.

#14 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:47 PM

does your registry editor for control panel like this

Posted Image

If your able to get to control panel you maybe able to fix some of those programs by using the folder options

Edited by mme, 12 October 2008 - 09:06 PM.

#15 john_bosma

john_bosma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:25 AM

I can get to control panel, just not some its features. What can I do with folder options?
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users