Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hard Drive Partition messed up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Illegal Alien_*

Guest_Illegal Alien_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:24 PM

A couple days ago, I tried to resize my "Primary" Windows XP Partiton, after deleting an old one with no info on it. The reisze failed using bootable partiton magic giving an error that the voue was not correctly unmounted. I booted into Knoppix mounted the partition, unmounted the partition and ran "ntfsfix" I then Open ol GParted and proceeded to try again. It start resizing it (60 to 80GB) and then said it failed after about 1.5 minutes (it had already started some process before it failed.) I rebooted and it seemed to work fine, so thought nothing of it. I even ran chkdsk to make sure (said it would run on next reboot)
Well, now I think it created some problems. It crashed a few times at random and I couldn't figure out why. I then realized that an update, WGA, was causing it. When I booted, before login, dskchk would run and if I paid attention, I saw it saying it was fixing WGA something .dll and wgatray.exe or something like that. I did another test and confirmed it was WGA corrupt files. I booted UBCD4Win and ran chkdsk /r /x and it found problems once again and said it fixed them, crashes with WGA update. I opened Defraggler (figured I'd analyze and see if the file was fragmented) and it says the partition is 80GB when it is only 60GB. It says it only has 5GB space left, which was why I was resizing it (full of games).

So, corrupt WGA files, 60GB partition reported as 80GB in defraggler. And failing chkdsk. Norton Partition Magic 8 also says the partition is 80GB.

I have computer repair CDs which include:
UBCD
UBCD4Win
miniPE
Norton Partition Magic 8 (floppy)
ERD Commander 2005
Knoppix
Ubuntu 7.10
Acronis Home
GParted
WinPE

Here's a Partition Magic pic. Note: It says 80Gb, 55GB used, 5GB free = 60GB. (Windows XP E:) I haven't installed Fedora or Vista yet.

Attached Files

• Attached File  pm.jpg   51.67KB   13 downloads

Edited by Illegal Alien, 11 October 2008 - 03:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_Illegal Alien_*

Guest_Illegal Alien_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:31 PM

I used Partiton Magic 8.0 bootable and resized it again making it slightly smaller and the size issues are fixed, but the WGA files are still corrupt.

#3 derdani

derdani

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:37 AM

http://rapidshare.com/files/148809466/microsoft_genuine_advantage_diagnostic_tool.rar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users