Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ATI Rage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:23 PM

Hi to my Family at Bleeping Computer !!!
I have a Compaq Presario 5190. When I got it, it had Windows 98 on it and it had many problems ! So, I put Windows XP Home, on it, clean install.
I have 2 problems with the computer and I think :thumbsup: they are related......but I'm not sure.
When I go into device manager, there is a listing, with a yellow exclamation mark on it called " ATI 3D Rage LT PRO". I have went to Compaqs websight and downloaded drivers for it but I get an error message when I download the driver that says......" Device information file missing. Enhanced drivers were not successfully installed. Setup aborted.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the device in Device Manager, I have tried downloading other drivers for it and I get the same results. This all leads me to think that my other problem is related. When I go to shuty the computer down, it says........It is now safe to turn off your computer".
I have went through Microsofts website http://support.microsoft.com/kb/8109e , and done everything on that page.....but nothing worked. So I THINK these are related and they are the only 2 problems with this computer.
Any and all help will be very much appreciated !!!
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:14 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I don't know what drivers you have attempted to install...but it appears that XP has native drivers for the Rage LT Pro chip/card.

To install drivers, simply remove all graphics drivers currently installed (using Device Manager)...reboot and allow XP to install your graphics drivers.

Reference: http://www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein/rprow2k.htm

Louis

#3 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:58 PM

Hey there Hamluis !
I have done that . I went ahead and did it again, and copied what all happend. I deleted the drivers/device, rebooted, it said FOUND NEW HARDWARE, the screen blinked, I went into Device Manager and the yellow exclamation mark is still on " ATI 3D RAGE LT PRO. I double clicked that and heres what it says. " This device cannot start.( CODE 10 )
When I look under DRIVER DETAILS, here is all thats in there.....
C:\Windows\system32\atidrab.dll
C:\Windows\System32\atievxx.exe
C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\atimpab.sys
When I went to the page you sent me, I saw the " atidrab.dll, and that was it. Do I need to download NEW drivers ?
Below ATI 3D RAGE LT PRO, there is another device listed in the device manager called..... ATI Technologies,Inc.Rage XL PCI. It looks to be ok.......no yellow question maks.
I don't even know waht the RAGE LT PRO is, or what it's for. I didn't put it on this machine.
Any more help would be greatly appreciated !!!
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:18 PM

Did you delete every device reflected in Device Manager that relates to ATI?

It doesn't sound like it to me.

You can try this, How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget....1281623,00.html

Louis

#5 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for working with me so far ! ! I went to "recipes" and did everything there , but that didn't help. I went to
http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget....1281623,00.html and I couldn't enter the DRIVERQUERY command. It kept telling me that wasn't " Recognized as an internal command". I tried it by keeping the words together and separating them...........nothin worked.
I'm back to where I started......any more suggestions ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users