Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo Firewall Defense+

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 malexous

malexous

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:01 PM

I am using Comodo Firewall and AVG Anti-Virus. I have Defense+ enabled but was wondering whether or not I should have it disabled? I know you should not have 2 anti-virus programs in use but I am not sure whether Defense+ is considered an anti-virus program or not.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:12 PM

Hi malexous

I am using Comodo Firewall and AVG Anti-Virus. I have Defense+ enabled but was wondering whether or not I should have it disabled? I know you should not have 2 anti-virus programs in use but I am not sure whether Defense+ is considered an anti-virus program or not.

I would leave it alone. Defense+ is not an anti-virus program, I would call it more like a "firewall" than a Anti-virus program.
From what I have read it says that:

Version 3.0 now features a fully fledged Host Intrusion Prevention System called Defense+ to protect your critical operating system files and block viruses and malware before they ever get the chance to install.

You can read more about Intrusion Prevention System here

Comodo firewall pro also has 2 stages of firewall protection:

1.Network Firewall
2.Defense+

Network Firewall protects your communications coming back and forth over your network.
Defense+ is more like the firewalls that you usually install. For example a bad file called "virus.exe" wants to access your adapter. "Allow, or Deny?".
OR, "random.exe" is trying to connect to the internet. "Allow/deny?"

Since Defense+ is part of Comodo's firewall its another part of the firewall that helps you secure. It is NOT an Anti-virus so therefore, I think its safe to leave it as it is.

Also,

I know you should not have 2 anti-virus programs in use.

I just wanted to clarify this as well because I had someone ask the same question before.

I do not recommend that you have more than one anti virus product installed and running on your computer at a time. The reason for this is that if both products have their automatic (Real-Time) protection switched on, then those products which do not encrypt the virus strings within them can cause other anti virus products to cause "false alarms". It can also lead to a clash as both products fight for access to files which are opened again this is the resident/automatic protection. In general terms, the two programs may conflict and cause:

1) False Alarms: When the anti virus software tells you that your PC has a virus when it actually doesn't.
2) System Performance Problems: Your system may lock up due to both products attempting to access the same file at the same time.

Anti-Virus programs also take up an enormous amount of your computer's resources when they are actively scanning your computer. Having two anti-virus programs running at the same time can cause your computer to run very slow, become unstable and even, in rare cases, crash.

If you choose to install more than one Anti-Virus program on your computer, then only one of them should be active in memory at a time.

There are 2 types of scanners: On-Access and On-Demand Scanners

On-Access Scanners
These are your Anti-virus programs that always keep running from when you startup your computer.

On-Demand Scanners
They run when you tell them to.

Therefore you can have more than one Anti-virus but only ONE should be active in memory.

I have AVG 8.0 as my On-access scanner and also I have another program called, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as an On-Demand scanner which only runs when I tell it to run. Its not a real-time protection so it won't cause any conflicts or false positives.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users