Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help installing hard drive!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dnap

dnap

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:00 PM

ok first im typing this on my ps3 and its a real pain. i bought a new SATA HDD to replace my dead IDE HDD, and bought a PCI controller card to connect the SATA HDD up. when i turn it on, it says non-system disk or disk error, and if i try to use my restore cd, it says it cant locate the fixed disk drive. what did i do wrong? i have the IDE cable from my old HDD plugged into the PCI card, and the SATA cable plugged into the SATA HDD, and the SATA power cable plugged into the HDD too, is this right? the HDD is a WD raptor 160gb. i had a forum reguarding this a few days ago, i would attach the link but im not sure how to do that on my ps3. please if anyone can help me!

CPU - AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

Motherboard -MSI 990FXA-GD80

Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Video Card - MSI Radeon R9 280

Storage - Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM

Power Supply - hec XP1080 800W

Case - Antec DF-35

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:17 PM

What operating system is your bootable drive running?

If its Windows XP you will have to burn a SATA driver to a floppy and install it that way.

Windows XP doesn't come with SATA drivers.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

Have you installed the drivers for the PCI adapter card? If the old harddrive is bad, then don't even hook it up. at least until you figure out which drive is being called hdd0. The only other problem I see right off is if your BIOS was able to figure out what the controller card is, in order to detect the new sata drive

#4 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

the new hard drive is bare as far as i know, but my old drive was using XP. the PCI card came with a mini CD with the driver i need but wont run the CD when i put it in. when i put the PCI card in and started it, it recognised it and asked me if i wanted to save changes, which i did

Case - Antec DF-35

#5 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:59 PM

actually i was reading the sticky about installing a new hard drive, and if looks like i might have to run data lifeguard tools since my hard drive doesnt have an OS on it, does this sound right? would i be able to use it right if i do that?

Case - Antec DF-35

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:44 PM

Actually...I don't think that you can do an initial boot from a PCI SATA controller card. You could if you had a motherboard with native SATA support...but using a controller card is not native SATA support.

In order for the card to work, the controller drivers must be installed...the drivers cannot be installed unless you are running some operating system...the O/S cannot be installed until the controller drivers are installed and XP is capable of determining that a SATA drive is attached to a controller card.

I don't think it can happen :thumbsup:, at least not the way you've explained it. You can replace your IDE/PATA hard drive as the boot drive, but only if the BIOS recognizes boot priority. The lack of native SATA support in the BIOS is what I think will be the stopper.

I could be all wrong...if so, someone will correct me :flowers:.

Your system BIOS detects PATA devices and optical drives, but it has no native support for SATA. That's why you need the controller card. But the controller card needs XP to install controller drivers...and XP needs the SATA driver.

Louis

#7 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:55 PM

well if i hook up the pci card and hard drive to another computer, can i install xp and the sata driver that way?

Case - Antec DF-35

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:53 PM

The short answer is it's a craps shoot with the odds stacked against you, the long version is below.

When you take a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it that you have been using on one computer and then install it as a master in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here .

"Moving a hard drive with Windows* 2000 or Windows XP* already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's knowledge base article. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:57 PM

well i had a thread asking if its possible to do this and everyone said yes, never said anything about problems.... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/173224/upgrading-hard-drive/

Edited by dnap, 11 October 2008 - 05:21 PM.

Case - Antec DF-35

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:37 PM

You had a thread asking if it's possible to replace a PATA hard drive with a SATA drive.

That answer is yes.

You were asking about some converter device for doing this...it was suggested that a controller card would be a better answer than a converter, for various reasons.

You did not indicate that you intended to use a SATA drive as a boot drive...you merely talked about "replacing a drive">

Many of us have more than one hard drive on our systems...some of us have a mixture of PATA and SATA drives. I've replaced some of my PATA drives with SATA drives...and I use a RAID controller for the reasons I outlined earlier. None of my SATA drives are boot drives, they are additional storage drives.

Some of us have controller cards, some of us have onboard SATA support from the motherboard. Some of those with SATA support use SATA drives as boot drives/partitions; some don't.

In short...I think that if you had explained that you intended to use just one hard drive...and that it was a SATA drive...on a system that had no native support for SATA...I suspect that the information provided would have been different. Your method of gathering info...seemed to be random and general...I suspect that the replies also were random and general.

Louis

#11 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:53 PM

well in the forum, i said my hard drive was going out the door, and i was getting a new one to replace it, which was an SATA drive. and asked if a pci controller card would let me use the SATA drive, i thought that was pretty clear i wasnt going to be using a PATA drive anymore. i just found out i waster $50 on the controller card from this little computer store, and then seen the same exact one online for $15, and the guy i bought it from has a no return policy....

is there anyway to get this to work? i really need my computer to do school work thats already late, and just need my computer for other things too. if i saved a SATA driver to a floppy, can i install it that way when i am formatting and installing XP? although i cant find out what i need from the cd that came with the pci card... theres a ton fo folders in there

Case - Antec DF-35

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:15 PM

If I remember you will need to be able to boot from a SCSI in the BIOS in order to boot XP from the SATA, some BIOS are not able to do this.

Is this drive formatted?

Edited by dc3, 11 October 2008 - 06:16 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:22 PM

as far as i know, there isnt anything on it, so it should be formatted. im on my aunts computer right now which has SATA hookups if that has any benefits in my favor, i hooked up the drive, and can hear it spinning, so i would assume it is working correctly.

EDIT: i can actually get into the hard drive with it hooked up on my aunts computer, and there is nothing on there, 139gb of free space.

Edited by dnap, 11 October 2008 - 06:56 PM.

Case - Antec DF-35

#14 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:40 PM

ok i was able to install windows xp on my SATA hard drive using my aunts computer, but now what? im pretty sure god hates me right now making this so frustrating, so im sure theres more that needs done.

Case - Antec DF-35

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

You still have the same problem.

I'm going to make this easy for you...I have 5 or so PATA drives lying around here doing nothing and I'm going to send one to you.

When you get it, just install XP on it, using the XP CD (format/create/install).

Once you install XP on it, you will be able to install the SATA controller drivers...and your SATA drive will be recognized by the XP install you make on the 120GB PATA drive I send.

My suggestion would be to just use the PATA drive as your boot drive and use the SATA drive for strictly storage on that system. If you upgrade your system, you will probably be able to easily do then...what seems impossible now.

Send me a forum personal message with your email and mailing address.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users