Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Admin and Network icon errors

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rick287

Rick287

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:20 AM

Over the last couple of days my PC has developed what I think is its first Vista error (it's nearly 18 months old).

The first thing I noticved was that the network notification icon showed me as disconnected, even though I was web surfing with no problems at the time. Since then, I've noticed a few things wrong:
  • Not only does the network icon not work, clicking on "connect to a network" or anything on that just causes the PC to hang.
  • No programs start up automatically now, even if they are in the startup folder.
  • Civilisation 4 (the only game I have installed) doesn't run - I just get the little spinning disc.
  • Paint Shop Pro loads its splash screen, but stops halfway and doesn't open the program.
  • Anything I do that requires admin access causes the computer to hang - I can't access Computer Management, run any programs as admin, or even move/copy some files.
  • The PC won't autorun any CDs or DVDs, though I can open their folders.
I've been trying to fix this, and googled a few solutions, though none have worked so far, probably due to me not having administrator access. I've used the Vista disc to System Restore the PC a few times, and although this works, the next time I restart the machine the same problems are back again. The first two things that appear after System Restore works is my antivirus (Avast) telling me it needs to restart (which of course will cause the PC to go bad again) and a program I've never heard of called "Bigfix" telling me that it can't connect to a site so I'm being unsubscribed.

The PC is a Gateway desktop GT5072b, with an extra 1GB of RAM, a second hard drive and an NVidia GeForce 7300SE/7200GS graphics card.

One thing I did also try was to install my old XP disc onto my second hard drive, but I got a Blue Screen of Death before it let me. I don't know if this is related...

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rick287

Rick287
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:24 PM

Would people generally recommend reinstalling Vista? I've got all documents saved on the second HD, so it'll be an inconvenience, but not a nightmare.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:50 PM

I would go to the Control Panel>Programs and Features, and see if Bigfix is listed there. Not sure if it was packaged with the Gateway software or not, but reading a brief description of the program, it sounds like it could give you a hassle
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users