The first thing I noticved was that the network notification icon showed me as disconnected, even though I was web surfing with no problems at the time. Since then, I've noticed a few things wrong:
- Not only does the network icon not work, clicking on "connect to a network" or anything on that just causes the PC to hang.
- No programs start up automatically now, even if they are in the startup folder.
- Civilisation 4 (the only game I have installed) doesn't run - I just get the little spinning disc.
- Paint Shop Pro loads its splash screen, but stops halfway and doesn't open the program.
- Anything I do that requires admin access causes the computer to hang - I can't access Computer Management, run any programs as admin, or even move/copy some files.
- The PC won't autorun any CDs or DVDs, though I can open their folders.
The PC is a Gateway desktop GT5072b, with an extra 1GB of RAM, a second hard drive and an NVidia GeForce 7300SE/7200GS graphics card.
One thing I did also try was to install my old XP disc onto my second hard drive, but I got a Blue Screen of Death before it let me. I don't know if this is related...
Thanks for any help!