Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent Crashing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Franksi

Franksi

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:49 AM

My computer started crashing about a month ago. It first freezes, then goes into a blue screen about a kernel stack error, and then shuts down to avoid damage.
It says it is due to a program, and the only one that I can think of that causes it is AIM. When I turn my computer back on, I get and AIM Error message abous AIM plugins not working properly. I delete the plugins, same deal. I reinstall AIM, and the problem gets worse. My computer crashes every couple of hours for the past day or so. Anyone know what the problem is? I have a Gateway MX8738.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:04 PM

Is this the error message that you're getting: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x77
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Franksi

Franksi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:04 PM

I'm running in safe mode since when I try to run in normal mode, I can't even get to my desktop without it crashing. This is one of the error messages I got:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damae to your computer.

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk degramentation, or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, then reset computer.

Technical Information:

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001904AB, 0 xAE114714, 0 xAE114410, 0x 827E137B

Ntfs.sys - Address 827E137B base at 826F8000, Datestamp 4764f079

Edit- Just ran a memory diagnostic tool, nothing reported, and nothing fixed.

Edited by Franksi, 11 October 2008 - 05:30 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:14 PM

That's a completely different error message. It refers to your NTFS file system (on your hard drive) http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x24

As the memory isn't at fault, I'd next suggest an independent scan for malware (if you can get into Safe Mode with Networking). Try this free one: http://housecall.trendmicro.com

After that we'll have to take a look at your drivers.

Also, you can run chkdsk /r to check the NTFS file system. Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes) - at the top of the search box will be an entry for cmd.exe. Right click on it and select "Run as administrator"

Then, in the black window that opens, type "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
It'll tell you it can't run now, and will offer to run it at the next reboot. Answer Y (for Yes) and press Enter to accept it - then reboot.
Let the scan run (it can take a while if there's errors) until the system boots back into Windows. Let us know if it finds any errors or fixes anything.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Franksi

Franksi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:52 AM

I'm posting this from another computer. The malware scan turned up no results, and the CHKDSK is still running. It's on stage 4 of 5, and has been stuck on 40000 out of 153712 files for over two hours now.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:37 PM

Check disk stages:
Stage 1: Chkdsk verifies each file record segment in the master file table
Stage 2, Chkdsk examines each of the indexes (directories) on the volume for internal consistency and verifies that every file and directory represented by a file record segment in the MFT is referenced by at least one directory.
Stage 3: Chkdsk verifies the security descriptors for each volume
Stage 4, Chkdsk verifies all clusters in use
Stage 5, Chkdsk verifies unused clusters

I'd suggest a hard drive diagnostic. They're available from the manufacturer of your hard drive. Here's a post that has links to the most common ones: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users