Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cd rom constantly reading

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 candigram

candigram

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 30 April 2005 - 06:16 PM

I have a problem that is driving us to distraction...While we are online the system seems to be looking for a CD. This interrupts downloads and causes browsers to freeze. It causes skips and jumps when listening to audio CDs and when watching DVDs. The DVD drive is a separate drive BTW

Someone suggested that I may have temp files stuck somewhere and the system is trying to play then. I haven't been able to find them

Its difficult to describe, so bear with me. The cursor will change periodically to an Icon of a CD, then turn into an hour glass and then back to a pointer. This takes all of three seconds but it pegs the CPU and locks everything down.

Interestingly, about the same time that this began, I began to have problems burning data and music CDs. I have down loaded new drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled the Drive.

I am runnning XP, the CD drive is NEC NR-7900A, and Direct CD 5.0, and I have disabled autoplay thinking that could be the problem.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2005 - 08:30 PM

Dear candi,

It sounds like the autoplay is stuck or thinks theres a CD in the drive.

Cd drive may be bad. Do you have an active firewall and anti-virus program?

Could be a virus but it would attack both drives.

How old is the CD drive?

Let us know,

Junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 candigram

candigram
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 01:18 PM

Norton AV with the most up to date definitions

Firewall is standard XP firewall, with dial up I dont figure i need any more than that

Drive is as old as the 'puter...approx 3 years old

I was thinking that it's probably the drive, but thought I would check it out before I invest in a new one . another interesting side note...the silly thing can run Game CD's with no problems.. Music CD's skip when the system does it's seek

#4 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:36 PM

Dear Candi,

Hymn...is there any other problems that you have noticed? No matter how small.

Remember Windows Media Player will not let you burn copyrighted stuff any more. They don't tell you but you will have all kinds of problems burning.

Even my trustee old copy of Nero will not load on my new computer.

I use a second computer not attached to the Internet to burn all my CD/DVD's.

Do you have your analog cable from CD attached to your MB or sound card?

You could have a bad analog cable. If you can play games with no problem but have trouble listening to a CD this could be a the problem.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#5 candigram

candigram
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:18 PM

JunkDK

Thank you so much for continuing to help..you are awsome :thumbsup:

We actually used Roxio to directly copy CD's We used the same program to make mix cds from cds that I own that I saved to the hard drive.

When we tried to copy a power point presentation to a CD we got an error message that the system could not find that device..same with photos from the digital camera

Windows media...meh...we dont use that at all.

you asked

Do you have your analog cable from CD attached to your MB or sound card?

I honestly have no idea...but I will check that on Thrusday when I have a bit of time that I can spend with the 'puter without cramping the rest of the family's style.

as far as any other problems....none so far as I can tell.

Whats really odd is that EVERYONE that I have spoke to recently is having some sort of weird problem with burning cd's..both music and data...

i am really sorta lost at this point. I used to think that I was at least a fairly knowledgeable person but this just makes me feel DUMB

#6 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:24 PM

Dear candigram,

Ahh...I did not know you could not do data as well.

Powerpoint presentations on CD; wow, with all that room you must have a lot to present. :thumbsup:

Anyhow, in order to burn anything to a CD it has to be converted. I used Nero to burn all my data stuff but your matter is different.

It sounds to me that you have a software conflicting issue here.

I use System Mechanic from islo for a lot of my computer needs. You should have some sort of utility program anyway and this program rocks.

If you get this program (free full trial program download) I would the go to the Maintain section and click PC Wizard before you do anything.

This will automatically fix, remove, and optimize your computer. It takes awhile depending on the size of your computer.

Restart your computer when its done. Let it do its job and viola! :flowers:

I love this program.

Check to see if you have the same problems. If you do, uninstall Roxio using its unistall. System Mechanic will uninstall the program completely if you want.

Remember Roxio embeds itself in most of your programs so using System Mech to uninstall my cause bad things.

When reloading Roxio, and if you love it, make sure you check if it is the controlling player in everything.

Sorry for the long post.

Let us know,

jundk :trumpet:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users