Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Defragmenting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WindChimes

WindChimes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:38 AM

When i opened the computer disk defragmenter the thing said it was unable to analyze so it said to do
"CHKDSK or SCANDISK on (C:\)

Ive done both and it still has the same error message, i can't defrag my computer it has been crashing for a while and im worried that my computer may ruin

Is there anyway other possibilities that i can defrag my computer?

thanks so much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:51 AM

I would download and run JK Defrag. I never use Windows.
I have used this Defrag program fo 2 yrs and I think it does an excellent job.
http://www.kessels.com/Jkdefrag/

#3 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:14 AM

Yeah I use JKdefrag too. It can usually defrag when other programs can't. But if you're worried that your computer is failing, now is the time to backup your important files to DVD-ROM and/or CD-ROM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:18 AM

Tell us exactly what you did...when you ran chkdsk. Running it in read-only mode...accomplishes nothing.

When trying to run defrag prompts advice from XP to run chkdsk...it's advisable to do so, regardless of what defrag product you may desire to use. The hard drive/file system needs chkdsk /r to be run.

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:35 AM

How large is your hard drive, and how much free space do you have on it? You need to have at least 15% free space for swap space, if you don't have this it can cause your computer to bog down, and you would have trouble defragging it as well.

How did you run the chkdsk? Start> My Computer> right click on C: Drive> Properties> Tools> Error Checking? Did you check at least the first choice?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users