Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't log off the internet w/o shutting down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 anniecrystal

anniecrystal

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:14 AM

I am operating with Windows XP and Internet Explorer 7

I have had a problem for quite some time that I can't log off the internet without shutting down or using control/alt/delete. I have had Norton to protect my computer and have recently upgraded to Norton 360, which does more scans. I also regularly run a malware program that I heard about on this site.

I have posted on the XP/Professional forum and was advised to post here. I did a little investigation and discovered that each time I log on I get anywhere from 250 to 2500 internet temporary files, when I may only have logged on to find out what the weather forecast was. This morning when I ran Norton's internet temporary files scan, I got 2000+ files from the weather inquiry and most were .gifs or jpg's. Is it possible that just logging on for a brief time that one could get that many temporary files or is there something nasty causing all those unrelated temp files

If the temporary files are not the problem, does anyone else have an idea why I can log off if I have been on the internet for longer than a few minutes? Generally, I can navigate to another site or do a search but I just can't log off.

Also, I sometimes I can't click a link and get to that site. I have to shut down and restart. I recently got another 1 gig of ram.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:31 AM

try this malawarebytes tool to see if it drags up any nasites for you http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=959453

#3 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:22 PM

I am operating with Windows XP and Internet Explorer 7

I have had a problem for quite some time that I can't log off the internet without shutting down or using control/alt/delete. I have had Norton to protect my computer and have recently upgraded to Norton 360, which does more scans. I also regularly run a malware program that I heard about on this site.

I have posted on the XP/Professional forum and was advised to post here. I did a little investigation and discovered that each time I log on I get anywhere from 250 to 2500 internet temporary files, when I may only have logged on to find out what the weather forecast was. This morning when I ran Norton's internet temporary files scan, I got 2000+ files from the weather inquiry and most were .gifs or jpg's. Is it possible that just logging on for a brief time that one could get that many temporary files or is there something nasty causing all those unrelated temp files

If the temporary files are not the problem, does anyone else have an idea why I can log off if I have been on the internet for longer than a few minutes? Generally, I can navigate to another site or do a search but I just can't log off.

Also, I sometimes I can't click a link and get to that site. I have to shut down and restart. I recently got another 1 gig of ram.

Hi anniecrystal,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding.

Make sure that you have all Windows patches applied and that you do not have any other third-party anti virus or internet security applications running, as they can cause conflicts with Norton 360.

Open Internet Explorer and select "Tools"->"Internet Options" and select the "Delete" button next to "Browsing History." Select "Delete All," put a check in the box, and then choose "Yes" to clear everything. Next, click the "Close" button. Click on the "Settings" button and lower the amount of space used to store temporary files, etc.

Are you using Norton 360 version 1 or version 2? If you are still using version 1 and have a valid subscription, you are entitled to a free update to Norton 360 version 2 which is highly encouraged. To update to Norton 360 version 2 visit the Norton Update Center.

Norton Update Center Norton 360 version 2

Open Norton 360 and manually run LiveUpdate to make sure you have the latest program and definition files applied. When LiveUpdate is complete, run a "Comprehensive Scan" with Norton 360 to check for infections.

Please try the "Comprehensive Scan," run the update if you are still using version 1 and let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Mike

Edited by Michael York, 11 October 2008 - 09:23 PM.

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#4 anniecrystal

anniecrystal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:08 AM

With regard to Norton 360, I have Version 2. I have done all the scans and have spent a considerable amount of time with two different Norton employees, however I don't seem to be able to get anyone to explain why I have temporary internet files being produced as if they were a cash crop. I might add that I have even gotten temporary internet files produced when I was not on the internet. I scanned after I logged out and then checked the next morning and had TIF's I have probably deleted in the neighborhood of 8,000 internet files todayl.

The Norton scans show that I have a low level threat in the way of a tracking cookie. No matter how many times it is discovered while scanning and "fixed" it is discovered during the next scan. I have used most of the suggested software that I have found in the various e-mails on this website.

Most of the 8,000+ temporary internet files have nothing to do with the work I was doing on the net, and a disproportionate number of the files are either gif's and jpg's which tend to be very space consuming. I run the temporary scans before I close down in order to be able to log out. An example of the scope of the problem, is that I logged on to the internet long enough to get the weather report and 200 temporary internet files appeared as a result of that brief interaction with the internet.

How can I find out what is causing this problem and get rid of what ever is producing these temp files.

anniecrystal

#5 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:12 PM

With regard to Norton 360, I have Version 2. I have done all the scans and have spent a considerable amount of time with two different Norton employees, however I don't seem to be able to get anyone to explain why I have temporary internet files being produced as if they were a cash crop. I might add that I have even gotten temporary internet files produced when I was not on the internet. I scanned after I logged out and then checked the next morning and had TIF's I have probably deleted in the neighborhood of 8,000 internet files todayl.

The Norton scans show that I have a low level threat in the way of a tracking cookie. No matter how many times it is discovered while scanning and "fixed" it is discovered during the next scan. I have used most of the suggested software that I have found in the various e-mails on this website.

Most of the 8,000+ temporary internet files have nothing to do with the work I was doing on the net, and a disproportionate number of the files are either gif's and jpg's which tend to be very space consuming. I run the temporary scans before I close down in order to be able to log out. An example of the scope of the problem, is that I logged on to the internet long enough to get the weather report and 200 temporary internet files appeared as a result of that brief interaction with the internet.

How can I find out what is causing this problem and get rid of what ever is producing these temp files.

anniecrystal

Hi annie,

As for the tracking cookie issue, you can change the settings in Norton 360 to "Automatically Remove" low-risk items. To do this, open Norton 360, select the "Settings" link, select Virus & Spyware Protection" and choose the radio button that says "Automatically Remove." After you make this change low-risk items will be automatically deleted and you will not be prompted.

As to the cause of the sudden increase in temporary files, I would first start with making the changes I suggested to Internet Explorer.

I would also suggest that you disable the System Restore feature in Windows XP temporarily to make sure that there are no infections in one of your restore points. Please follow the instructions in the following link.

How to disable Windows XP System Restore

After you disable System Restore, run LiveUpdate and then complete a "Comprehensive Scan" with Norton 360.

Lastly, click on the "Settings" link in the main window, choose "Task Scheduling" and make sure there are checks in each of the boxes. Click the "Back" button and then the "Close" button and then select the "Run File Cleanup" routine and then restart your computer.

Thanks,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users