Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista wireless

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 driver33b

driver33b

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:29 AM

Hi all, I have a Dell XPS1530 loaded with Vista H/Premium 2.4ghz 320gb 4gig ram (3500mb 32bit) wireless card is Intel 4965AGN all was fine with connecting automatically to my home wireless for months. I had to take a friend to hospital and knew I was going to be waiting for hours, so I took the laptop. I tried to connect to a public connection that I had used before with my old lappie, the new one could not find any networks. I thought it 'strange' and didn't worry about it until I went to connect at home. The PC I am on now is connected to the same Netgear WG602 v2 Wireless access point via a Siemens Speedsream 4200 ADSL modem that the lappie used to connect to so easily.

I have searched here and all over the net and the most common remedy is to re-install Vista or ABANDON it for XP Pro. I have been through Dell drivers, Intel drivers, M$ Updates including SP1, BlackVipers, M$ MVPs... I've tried so many fixes that fixed SOME peoples but no one has a determinable fix. I have been chasing a fix for approx 5 weeks on and off....I have uninstalled/re-installed, hacked the registry, updated drivers, turned 22 different all dependent "services" on/off onto auto start, removed and replaced ivp6 and all sorts of "fixes"...I have 'repaired' the start up sequence with Vista Auto repair....I have "Restored" the comp. back about 4 restore points after each 'hack' or severe adj....to the best of my knowledge it is back to default settings everywhere I have changed..... but I have 'given up'! (almost!)

I'm thinking what's a couple more days gonna matter???

Here's the full senerio....when I 1st turn on the lappie..."Windows cannot re-connect to the network" is one pop up, another over the x'ed out network icon...."Not connected....Networks available" Another pop up boasts "Not Connected Wireless networks are available. Connect to a network. Network and Sharing Center" If I put the cursur over Connect to a network the arrow turns to a hand and click, NOTHING happens. If I click on the N and S center it opens as Ctr panel-N and S center....under Tasks, View comp. and devices, brings up Network window...this comuter is not connected to a network. Click to connect...clicking on connect brings another menu...Connect to a network, Help, Open N and S Center...when I click on "Connect to a Network" NOTHING happens. Back under Ctr panel-N and S center....under Tasks, there is Connect to a Network....clicking does NOTHING. Back under Ctr panel-N and S center....under Tasks, Manage wireless networks..opens Ctr panel-Manage W/less Networks.....clicking +Add does NOTHING, Adapter Properties...everything in there reads good. Profile types.... makes no difference of settings. N and S Center (don't want to go there again)..that is all there is in Manage Wireless Networks. Ctr panel-N and S center....under Tasks, Set up a connection or network....clicking on this does NOTHING. Ctr panel-N and S center....under Tasks, Manage network connections....been there done that. Ctr panel-N and S center....under Tasks, Diagnose and repair...."There might be a problem with one or more network adapters on this computer" (an understatement) 1) plug cable into network adapter. 2) View available wireless networks" click on this (2) and NOTHING happens. Ctr panel-N and S center....main page has pic of (this computer) an x and the world. PC icon... Not connected. Wireless networks are available...connect to a network. Click on this and NOTHING happens. Ctr panel N and S center....during all the searches I often read that there was a "customize" link on this page mine does not show that facility. There is nothing else on this page. In Control panel-Network connections....connect to does NOTHING...Diagnose this connection is the same as Ctr panel-Networking and Sharing diagnostics....Nothing happens. Lastly click Start>Connect...you guessed it NOTHING happens.

Vista is so automated that it ties itself in knots. By the way there was 76 running applications and the log that records errors was in the 3000 odd.....the only thing I still like about Vista is the Bubbles screensave. As you can imagine Vista is going wild letting me know my "updates and virus library are out of date".

If anyone would like to have a go at this your help would be welcome, and I am sure plenty of other people would appreciate seeing a fix. Thanks in advance.

Edited by driver33b, 11 October 2008 - 06:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:41 AM

Let's move this to the Networking forum. I believe you'll be better served there
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 driver33b

driver33b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:37 PM

I thought this is more a Vista problem rather than a networking problem.

Looking in the bios settings it says that "the wireless adapter is turned off and is not visible to the system".

So the simple question is.....how do you turn wireless ON in Vista?

#4 driver33b

driver33b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:44 AM

Time to close this one....

I am a little surprised that no one knew how to help me and the dozens of others that have the same problem.

Dell have updated their wireless trouble shooter to conclude with "we have proven that Dell supplied computers and hardware are in a fully functioning condition. You need to contact your software manufacturer."

The situation of having a wireless network working for more than 6 months and then TRY to connect to a 'public' network which then prevents the laptop from connecting to 'home' is quite frustrating. To have Vista sit there and tell you there are 'networks available' and not connect to them is almost as frustrating as trying to find a fix on the net.

I believe that Vista is so automated that it cannot keep track of it's own built in watchdogs. It is all relative to have 'services' depend on 'other' services IF they all recognise each other and don't cause non reported incompatabilities. One thing I have learnt from this journey is that XP is SOO much better a 'hands on' OP than Vista will ever be.....fancy building and RETAILING a system that can't 'roam' from network to network, in todays world....Vista the OP for tomorrows' PC.

I'm gong back to XP Pro and I reckon I'll be able to cold boot to a wireless connection and have the browser loaded in under 23 seconds. That's something Vista will NEVER be able to do.

#5 driver33b

driver33b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:23 PM

OK so I got a little carried away with getting rid of Vista.....truth is it is not an easy exercise....1st up I tryed to RESTORE back as far as June in the restore list...it crashed and I lost all restore points.....so I repaired by doing a system check and repair/replace missing files....this in itself was fine only trouble was it would not let me logon other than Guest (no admin), and could not ceate new a/c.....while getting in thru Safe mode I decided to go down the Dell restore "factory settings" road....THANK YOU Mr Dell.

This post is on the troubled machine connected to the untouched wireless set up that has been working 'just fine' with my GX270 Dell w/station and my neighbors Asus lappie all along (6 mths).

As ship happens the site that led me to 'system check and repair/replace missing files' was left open on my PC when I went to bed last night...when the ship comes home MS do an Update and re-boot the PC....so I do not have the affirmative fix. I was into the Vista forums and a thousand others last night so I am not sure where I was exactly. If someone would like to tell me how to identify the last 20 pages I visited I can probably find it. I will stay on the lappie for as long as it works and not touch the PC

All I can do is reiterate that I believe it is a Vista "Services" problem that no one understands or has a fix for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users