Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

display problem on Gateway laptop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 opus_croakus

opus_croakus

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:17 AM

:thumbsup:

I'm running XP Home Edition, Version 2000, SP3 on a Gateway 4012GZ. My video display adapter is an Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller. Two instances of this show up in the Device Manager. I have tried uninstalling one and it comes back. The only difference I can see between them is that one lists more items in the resources tab. Disabling the one with fewer resources doesn't seem to make any difference to anything. Under monitors there is both "default monitor" and "digital monitor flat panel (1024 x 768)". I'm not sure why this is because I only use 1 monitor. These are both the same thing.

I'm using the following software:
Comodo Firewall 3.0.25.378
avast! Antivirus 4.8 Home Edition
Ad-Aware SE Plus with latest definitions
Spybot Search & Destroy 1.60.30
Logitech SetPoint 4.60.122 (I've heard SetPoint can cause conflicts, but IIRC, this is mainly in video games)
CCleaner 2.12.660
PowerDesk 6.0.4.2

I was using all of these programs previously (though PowerDesk was v. 4) and regularly update them. AFIK, no update to any of these has caused my problem.

I have Tweak UI on this computer but I had it before and it never caused problems.

Although I don't really know exactly when this problem started, it is relatively recent. Back in March I had a virus disable all my protective software and then my system files. I wiped the drive and reinstalled everything and I believe the display was OK after doing so. It's possible I deleted something I shouldn't have with the CCleaner program's registry cleaner. (I always back it up when I use it, but there's an awful lot of stuff there.)

Here are some screen caps of what's happening.

Attached File  comperror1.GIF   38.36KB   21 downloads

These are from Serif PhotoPlus 8. The first picture illustrates how the color tab currently displays. The second image from the help file shows how it should display.
Attached File  comperror2.GIF   22.96KB   18 downloads
Attached File  comperror2_a.GIF   36.09KB   17 downloads
However, other tools, like the brush tips and layers manager display normally.
Another weird thing in this program occurs when opening a file. Initially, you get this:
Attached File  comperror3a.GIF   66.83KB   21 downloads
As you resize the window to show more thumbs, the text fields and open and cancel buttons appear to "slide over" to the items in the lower right corner.
Attached File  comperror4a.GIF   64.37KB   18 downloads

The basic cropping problem is also happening in the Options dialog box in PowerDesk.

I have tried switching display settings and resolution and this doesn't work.
I have tried updating and rolling back drivers. This also doesn't work.

Also, there is a vertical band to the right of center on my monitor which is brighter than the rest of the screen. This definitely happened after the virus, but I think it was like that for a while before the dialog box problem came up. This makes me suspect you are going to tell me I need a new video card, but I'm hoping not as I haven't really got the funds for one at the moment.

However, all advice is still welcome, or I wouldn't be here. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:50 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I believe that video cards which support 2 monitors...reflect two tuners in Device Manager. That's my experience.

Seems that there is related documentation, http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/inte...b/cs-009060.htm

I would remove all graphics drivers...reboot...and reinstall same. That should eliminate any concern about a virus impacting your graphics (assuming that the system is now clean).

As for default monitor...that's what goes in when Windows is first installed, using default video drivers. Users can change the notation (I think) by using Device Manager. If there is an accurate notation depicting your monitor...I would just delete the other.

It's also occurred to me that you may have triggered this yourself when you selected the monitor you are going to use in your display settings.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...p_multimon.mspx

Right-click on empty space on Desktop, select Properties/Settings/Advanced/Monitor to see just what monitor you have selected when you elected your display settings.

Louis

#3 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:08 AM

Hello opus_croakus,

The DPI Setting for your display may be too high. The DPI Setting on this computer for "Normal size" is 96DPI. A DPI value that is too high can cause the kind of display distortion/cropping in dialog boxes that you are seeing.

You can adjust the DPI setting at: Start, Control Panel, Display, Settings (tab), Advanced (button), General (tab), DPI Setting: (dropdown list). Make the appropriate change, then click the Apply button and OK your way out.

#4 opus_croakus

opus_croakus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:06 AM

Hi M. I was pretty sure that setting was already normal, but I double checked it to be sure. It is 96 dpi, normal.

hamluis, OK, I realize now that reenabling the "default monitor" in Device Manager gives me the dual screen option. Disabling it removes that option from the Display Properties. I am going to try what you suggested about removing everything and rebooting, but here's something interesting I just noticed.

Attached File  ce_5.GIF   27.46KB   30 downloads

All the rest of these tabs look normal. It's only the Intel one that's messed up. In fact, on clicking that Graphics Properties button, everything in there shows the cropping problem, also. Would that mean I have a corrupt or incorrect driver?

#5 opus_croakus

opus_croakus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:18 PM

I discovered that I actually didn't have the latest Intel driver so I installed that, actually, before uninstalling and reinstalling all the device instances. When I did the latter, the driver rolled back to the one I had had to start with. So, I did the update again. That still has not solved the problem. Can anyone give me any more insights?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:01 PM

How well ventilated do you have your lap top? Are the exhaust vents clear of all dust?

#7 opus_croakus

opus_croakus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:53 PM

It seems to be well ventilated. Vents seem pretty clear. Do you think I would need to open up the bottom and take a look to be sure there's not too much dust in there?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:52 PM

It seems to be well ventilated. Vents seem pretty clear. Do you think I would need to open up the bottom and take a look to be sure there's not too much dust in there?

Where do you use your lap top?

#9 opus_croakus

opus_croakus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:16 AM

Mostly in an office space at home. I have it sitting on one of these and use an external keyboard.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:18 AM

Mostly in an office space at home. I have it sitting on one of these and use an external keyboard.

Can you provide a bigger picture?

#11 opus_croakus

opus_croakus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:32 PM

sorry about that. that was an image from Staples. Here is a pic of my actual setup. You can't see the openings in this pic but I have highlighted where the vents are.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users