Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do you do

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:13 PM

One theme I've noticed here is that some people posing the query, "What do you do?" are extremely judgmental about what you do or don't do, what you supposedly have or have not accomplished with your life. And some people who ask these questions are con men. They are sizing you up instead of looking to make polite or possibly more involved conversation. For example, Queen Evie does a LOT with her life as a mother and homemaker. Good for her! She has an encyclopedic knowledge both of popular music and of computers, and probably other things as well. Not everyone who has advanced degrees has found vocations or positions compatible with their personalities, mental quirks, or life circumstances. Nowadays there are a lot of folks who are fairly well-educated in various areas. They may not be renaissance men and women, but they are curious and diligent at increasing their knowledge. Those are the two most important components of intelligence, to my way of thinking. We have all come across rigid pedants or bureaucrats with advanced degrees who have no creativity, no curiosity, no understanding that one purpose of higher education is to make oneself a better person: more humane, compassionate and wise. And those who found school boring or could not afford it have often found other ways to use and to develop their varied forms of intelligence.

Worth should be based on how one treats other people and the manner in which one tries to live one's life, not on job title or total number of degrees.

And the floundering economy is a great leveler of those who formerly held positions of rank and privilege. Not to mention "influence."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:09 PM

And we know more ways to kill you than you know ways to die!
:inlove:

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: I'm stealing that one!!

#18 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:12 PM

And we know more ways to kill you than you know ways to die!
:inlove:

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: I'm stealing that one!!

I have an acquaintance that says... "and I've forgotten more ways to kill than you know how to die!"
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#19 rangecoach

rangecoach

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:22 PM

As far as what the military does, here's what my response used to be:

"We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, in an attempt to do the impossible, have done so much for so long with so little for so many, that we can now do anything with nothing."
The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

You are never defeated until you admit it. Gen. Patton

#20 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:18 AM

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

#21 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:34 PM

Another view...

We the unwilling led by the unqualified are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#22 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:47 PM

Too funny Boop.....

I was unqualified, mislead, mucked about, and yet survived. I think?

#23 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:55 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers:
Funny guy KY..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#24 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:08 PM

NP. My ashes will get crashed in the sea? No Arlington games or other for me.

#25 muuji

muuji

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:33 AM

i'm an australian expat, have lived in china for six years. one of the things that struck me when i first came here, but less so now, is that chinese people have no compunction about asking:
  • what's your job?
  • how much do you earn?
  • how old are you?
  • how much did you pay for that?
it doesn't particularly bother me - i've realised that these types of questions aren't considered to be rude here.
chinese people will never ask questions about political views; questions about religious views are also somewhat off limits, but i've noticed that people are increasingly talking about religion.
Muuji

#26 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:55 PM

Some people are like me. Tend to your business and I will tend to mine.

#27 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

It does not bother me what people ask. They just might not like my answer.

557851.png

#28 Jaug

Jaug

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:51 PM

What do you do?

I lived in Germany for twenty five years.....upon returning to the USA.....things changed in 25 years. So after speaking a different language and living a little different way of life it was a shock upon returning to my home.

When folks asked me, "What do you do?"

With out even try to be smart (as at first I really did not know what people really wanted to know, "How I earned my living")
I would answer...I talk, I walk and I breath. Honest I had no idea what folks really wanted to know.

Until and old school buddy explained.

I had to add my two cents too...What do you do?

Best Regards,
Jaug

#29 doomgiver13

doomgiver13

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:29 PM

I've never had any issue with being asked about my livelihood. I answer truthfully. If someone is interested in me enough to ask, I figure there's no reason not to tell them.

On the other side though, I DO take issue with judgemental people who think that what you do defines you. I have many varied interests, and not all of them are typical of people in my field.
If you truly live by the sword, it only stands to reason that someone has to die by it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users