Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused Potential Laptop Buyer....need help/advice!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:30 PM

Hi all!

After enjoying my huge desktop computer for six years now, I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a new system -- specifically, a laptop. I used a laptop all through my college years, and got incredibly used to the portability and convenience. I always hated having to turn the laptop in at the end of every school year! :thumbsup:

Anyway. There are three different options I'm looking at in terms of my laptop purchase. They're all different prices and they have differing specs. I'm confused as hell as to what would be the best buy financially; understandably, I want to get the most for my money!

So...and I hope this is allowed here....I'm hoping to get some advice on my three choices. Any criticisms, personal opinions, etc., are greatly appreciated.

Here are my three choices:

1) Acer (total cost: $507.35):
** Intel Celeron M 560 - 2.13 GHz
** 1 GB memory
** 160 GB hard drive
** Integrated 3D graphics, featuring Intel
** Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
** 6 cell lithium-ion 2-hour battery
** 3 USB ports, Ext VGA Support, S-Video/TV-Out

2) Aspire (total cost: $563.80)
** Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core TK57 - 1.9 GHz
** 2 GB memory
** 160 GB hard drive
** 6 cell lithium-ion 2.5-hour battery
** Built-in wireless and Gigabit ethernet wired networking
** 5-in-1 card reader, 4 USB ports, Firewire port, S-video/TV-Out

3) Extensa (total cost: $631.65)
** Intel Pentium Dual Core T2390 - 1.86 GHz
** 3 GB memory
** 250 GB hard drive
** Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
** Integrated Acer Crystal Eye webcam
** 6-cell lithium-ion 2.2-hour battery
** Built-in wireless and Gigabit ethernet wired networking
** 5-in-1 card reader , 4 USB ports, Firewire port
** S-Video port, headphone jack, speaker jack

So. There are the three choices I have narrowed it down to. I've pretty much knocked out the first choice, because someone once told me that Celeron = not good (although they never said why). So, please, if anyone has any advice/thoughts, please feel free to share!

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell Inspiron 5537
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:23 PM

Well, the first one isn't really that great. I wouldn't even consider it, especially for the money. The celeron processor is single-core, unlike the other two you mentioned which are dual-core. It's also much older, and just plan and simple, not that great anymore.

Now for number two and three, the processor's are probably about the same in terms of performance. Number three has a bigger hard drive, and 1 more gb of ram though. It depends if you are willing to spend that extra money for those couple upgrades. If you're just going to be browsing the internet, then 2gb should be plenty. 3gb will help out though if you plan on using some newer applications, or running more thing's at once. Also, it will make your laptop more "future-proof". The bigger hard drive is also up to you, if you need all that extra space, go for it.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:38 AM

I vote for number three, it is more future proof and more powerful.

3939.png

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:30 AM

"It depends if you are willing to spend that extra money for those couple upgrades"
pretty much says it all. If it were me shopping I'd find a way to squeeze out that extra 70 bucks for the third option, but is it worth it to you thats the question.

#5 lilachamster

lilachamster

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:22 AM

I agree with Sterling, I would not consider the 1st option.

I bought a new laptop recently. It has 3GB memory and 250GB hard drive like your 3rd choice.

I'm really glad I decided to pay a bit more for the better spec. I often run a few applications at once and the 3GB memory keeps it running at a good speed.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I used to think I was indecisive.... but now I'm not too sure

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Others stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same......

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards." - Soren Kierkegaard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users