Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser Hangs

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Hendry

Hendry

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:52 PM

When I try to use the long range radar loop( requires Java) on the NWS weather site, I get a" program not responding" notice. This occurs with both IE and Firefox. If I execute" end task", after the browser shuts down, if I reopen the browser( either one) and go to the weather site ,the radar loop operates properly. It continues to do so as long as the computer stays on. If the computer is shut down, the next time the computer is booted up, the same sequence of events occurs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 05:08 PM

Download the latest java from here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp

and see if that helps

#3 Hendry

Hendry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 07:16 PM

I went to the link. The download did not occur automatically. I did a manual download as suggested on the download page. Problem is unchanged: browser hangs on first attempt and functions properlyafter closing and reopening the browser.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 08:49 PM

Try cleaning your Java Cache as follows:

From the Start button, click Settings > Control Panel
In the Control Panel, open the "Java Plug-in Control Panel"
Select the Cache Tab
Click the Clear button inside the Cache Tab, which will clear your JRE cache directory

Other temporary files can cause problems like you describe. I like to use CCleaner to clean the junk files from my machine.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Hendry

Hendry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:13 AM

There was no cache tab on the Java control Panel. There was a temporary Internet files section on the general tab. I deleted the files. I downloaded CCleaner and ran it. The problem remains unchanged.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:27 AM

There was no cache tab on the Java control Panel. There was a temporary Internet files section on the general tab.

I'm a little confused. When you say "temporary Internet files section on the general tab" are you referring to Internet Options IE?

The "Java Plug-in Control Panel" is found in the Windows Control Panel. Is that where you were?

When you downloaded and installed the Java, as you describe in your previous post, did you uninstall the existing Java first?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Hendry

Hendry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:33 AM

I don't know what OS or what version of Java you are using. I am running XP Pro SP2 and J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 2. When I go to Windows Control Panel and click on the Java icon, a window titled "Java Control Panel" opens. The panel has five tabs labeled General, Update, Java, Security, and Advanced. There is no tab titled" Cache" nor is the title of the window" Java Plug-in Control Panel". As I stated before, the general tab has a section entitled" temporary internet files". There is also a section entitled" about" and a section entitled" network settings"on the General tab. I did uninstall the previous Java version before downloading and installing the current version.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:00 AM

My instructions concerned JRE 1.5 and were taken from the Java site.

Why did you download the Solaris version?

Solaris 32 bits download and installation instruction for the Java Runtime Environment (JRE)

Solaris 10 -- the most advanced UNIX operating system ever -- is here

Windows Automatic Download and Installation Instructions for the Java Runtime Environment (JRE)

#9 Hendry

Hendry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 02:15 PM

I have no idea of how you decided that I had downloaded the Solaris version. If one goes to the Java site and clicks on the windows offline installation button, one downloads a file to the disk identified as jre 1_5_0_02-windows-i586p, Setup Launcher, Sun MIcrosystems, Inc. The file is 15.2 MB. Opening the file launches an installation wizard which installs the software. If one checks the Install/Remove software function in Windows Control Panel, one finds the Java software listed as J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 2. I hope this clears up any confusion about the version of Java and how it was downloaded.

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 04:49 PM

See if this helps:

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000020200.xml

#11 Hendry

Hendry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:28 PM

Java is enabled in IE. In Java Control Panel,>Advanced<applet> tag support, box next to Internet Explorer is checked. The box next to Mozilla and Netscape was unchecked. Checking the box and clicking apply produced the following error message-"Unable to change browser settings. Please check that Mozilla is properly installed on the system and/or you have sufficient permissions to change system settings." Uninstallation and reinstallation of Firefox(new download) gave same error message. I an the only user and I am the computer administrator. I have had no prior instances of problems with changing system settings.

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:25 PM

This is what I suggest. In the tutorials section is a tutorial on removing the microsoft virtual machine. Do that.

Then uninstall sun java. Reboot.

Then download and install sun java again, and reinstall it.

#13 Hendry

Hendry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:23 PM

I had previously removed Microsoft JVM. I verified that all specified files and keys had been removed. I then did the uninstall, reboot, download, ane reinstall as you suggested. Problem remains unchanged, including previously described error message when trying to use Java Control Panel to change settings. I tried to isolate the problem; it appears that the problem occurs on the first attempt to run any applet after bootup. As I previously described, browser hangup occured on attempting to run a radar loop on a weather site. After executing an end program
instruction, subsequent attempts to view the radar loop worked. The same pattern is observed when using Java's test page. With a just booted machine, attempts to run the Java test results in a browser hangup. Executing an end program and retrying the test loads and runs the test applet.

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:54 PM

You got me on this one. I am not sure what else to have you try

#15 Hendry

Hendry
  • Topic Starter