Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EICAR Test File Question?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:12 PM

When I open the eicar.com.txt file in IE, Avira immediately alerts that it detected the file. But when I open the same file in Firefox, the page just shows but Avira doesn't do anything. How come?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:39 PM

Anyone? If I'm in the wrong forum please move me to the appropriate one.

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:30 AM

I think you are in the right place with this one, Mate.

The eicar test files were designed to test AVs. All should detect them, if not? there is more than likely a Problem? The actual File is quite harmless, see the attached Link? In your case I would suggest leaving the eicar test file and experimenting with other AVs and Firefox? Free one is AVG Free 8. Just disable your existing AV first before installing? Then before running it? Link is here to AVG Free 8 http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

Link to eicar Test File

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eicar_test_file

Because Firefox seems to stop the detection of eicar test file is a cause for concern, JMHO.

Edit. I would be surprised if AVG Free 8 did not detect it before you opened it! It detects most variaties of eicar tests just sitting there. Many people just don't know about eicar test files, which is a shame.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 11 October 2008 - 02:39 AM.

#4 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:30 AM

AVIRA dont support Firefox 3,2.5, so i reccommend better AV

#5 foto

foto

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

When I open the eicar.com.txt file in IE, Avira immediately alerts that it detected the file. But when I open the same file in Firefox, the page just shows but Avira doesn't do anything. How come?

Firefox (and other "good" browsers) - do not store any files (eicar.com.txt) from pages into the disk cache, but instead 'stream' it directly from the internet. Since no disk operation is involved in this case, the guard can't get active (there is nothing to scan).

The difference between guard and web-protection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users