Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't log off the internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 anniecrystal

anniecrystal

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:04 PM

I have gone through all the steps for slow computers and nothing seems to fix this problem. If I am on the internet for more than a few minutes, I can't log off the internet without control/alt/delete (which doesn't always work) and then I have to shut down my computer. The site is rarely frozen all together as I can do a search or navigate to another site.

Also, I frequently can't access the contents of a link inside a website, although I have learned that if I shut down my computer and restart I can usually get in.

I thought maybe the problem was not enough RAM but I got another 1 Gigabyte of memory and that didn't help the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:22 PM

Hi anniecrystal,

Slow computers are caused by a lot of things but if you've worked through those on the list then you might want to consider the possibility that you have something a bit nasty eating up your memory.

The best thing to do would be to start with a full scan using your antivirus and then to scan again with your antispyware program.

If you don't have one of these then you can download a free antivirus like Avast! or Antivir

A highly recommended AntiSpyware program is SuperAntiSpyware. You can download the free Home Version. or the Pro version for a 15 day trial period.

Other recommended, and free, AntiSpyware programs are Spybot - Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware Personal.

If none of these are finding anything or your system is just too slow to run these programs then I suggest posting a query in the Am I Infected forum where expert help is at hand for these kind of problems. Make sure you provide your operating system (ie, Windows XP) and your browser (ie, Internet Explorer 7)
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:27 AM

hi,,, in this instance the bottle neck is your internet connection not the hardware in the pc,,, 1gb of ram is quite enough,,, it will depend on how big a connection,,,( ie,, the max download speeds,,, mine is 6MB but avarages out around 5.5 MB) you have and the quality of this connection,,, ie what cables your using,, or how good a wireless connection and how many other people are on that line,,, and the quality of the line,,, this is known as noise,,, it seems strange though thet when you reboot ,,, etc,, it all works fine,,, Mole gives good advice to start scans first and make sure your clean.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users