Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast updates

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rustynail25

Rustynail25

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

Please advise
I have Zone Alarm & Avast (Free) installed on my computer' now my Avast will not update automatically & if I try to update manually I get a message saying unable to update because I`m not connected to internet which is not true because i can access any other website I want. Now if I shutdown ZA it immediately updates, then I restart computer & restore ZA. Avast is updated but it still does`nt update automatically Now I have been advised to Uninstall Avast & download an up to date version The thing is do I shutdown Zone Alarm when I download Avast Home Free
I am fairly new to computers so I would be grateful for any help on this
Thank you in advance
Rustynail25

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:31 PM

Hi Rustynail,

ZoneAlarm is interfering with the updates connection - it's doing it's job too well - so you need to temporarily disable it to update Avast. Make sure you enable it afterwards though. You must update Avast though. Updating shouldn't be a problem but if it is then disable ZA as well.

If it's becoming too much of a problem then you could switch ZA for another firewall or Avast for another antivirus. Bleeping Computer has a nice write-up here.

Hope that's useful to you.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 Rustynail25

Rustynail25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:20 PM

Thank you mOle

This doesnt explain why 3 friends of mine have the same combination as me ie Zone Alarm & Avast yet get no problems with Avast automatic updates, my computer is working perfectly

Rustynail25

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:43 PM

This doesnt explain why 3 friends of mine have the same combination as me ie Zone Alarm & Avast yet get no problems

No, but it is a possibility that as your Avast isn't fully updated it still contains a compatibility problem whereas your friends been able to do their updates.

See what happens after you've updated. If it is still a problem then maybe your firewall controls need to be looked at.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#5 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:05 PM

This doesnt explain why 3 friends of mine have the same combination as me ie Zone Alarm & Avast yet get no problems

Does ZoneAlarm show a message when updating Avast?

If yes, your friends probably have the Antivirus updater in their "Trusted List". You should try to find out how to add the updater to the list. Be careful - anything you add on that list could gain access to the Internet.

#6 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:35 PM

Rustynail25,

You do not need to disable zone alarm firewall to update Avast. The easiest way to give permission for Avast in Zone alarm is to go to Program Control tab find Avast (all appearances) in the list, click to highlight, right click and choose Remove. Then try to manually update Avast and the zone alarm firewall should throw up alert(s) asking for permissions for Avast , say yes and remember this setting.

tork

#7 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:39 PM

Rustynail25,

You may also want to take a look at the zone alarm pdf manual:
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/media/pdf...user_manual.pdf

tork

#8 Rustynail25

Rustynail25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:09 AM

tork

Thank you for your help MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Rustynail25

#9 Rustynail25

Rustynail25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:11 AM

Does ZoneAlarm show a message when updating Avast?

If yes, your friends probably have the Antivirus updater in their "Trusted List". You should try to find out how to add the updater to the list. Be careful - anything you add on that list could gain access to the Internet.

#10 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:22 PM

tork

Thank you for your help MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Rustynail25

Rustynail25,

You're welcome