Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet is as slow as dialup...HELP!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Dborns

Dborns

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:05 PM

Okay, here we go. This is my second time posting to this forum. I've also posted the problem to the "Am I infected..." forum with no relief. I have a Dell desktop running windows vista 32bit that is 160gb free of 220gb. It is hardwired to an AT&T modem with DSL service. For the past month, my internet has run very slow with offline work running normal. I was online one day and noticed the computer sounded like it was processing something and it started running slow. The disk light was constantly lit and I also noticed my external MyBook backup was also "running". I did an online Symantec scan which found a backdoor trojan. My other security programs, AVG, Spyware Terminator, did not find this virus and I'm not sure if it was removed but all scans including the Symantec online scan since then showed no problems. But I was still having internet problems. I also noticed that when I cleared my temp files, there would be over a thousand of them everytime I exited the net. When I looked at the actual temp files, I found every picture, icon, etc., that was on every website I visited. I'm not sure if that is normal or not, but I know holding thousands of files will slow it down.
So I opened a topic on BC and a moderator worked with me for a week on the problem. He had me run a HJT log, ESET scan, Malware Antimalware, and other programs. Everything showed up clean but the problem still persists.
I've contacted AT&T and after a service call, the modem was found to be working correctly. I've also done a speed test on the connection which shows the correct internet speed. I've cleaned all my TIF files and browsing history with with the "Tools" tab and with Spyware Terminator. ST has found a few critical items here and there but they are always removed. Recently I did have it find spyware in Malware Antimalware called something like "jokeinfection" and it was removed. But when I did another scan a few weeks later, it found it again so for some reason it was back. I have read in a few posts that after cleaning an infection, you should erase your restore points so that any infection can't come back, which I have not done. My last ditch attempt to fix this is going to be to use the oldest restore point to hopefully repair the problem so I didn't want to erase anything.
I started wondering if there could be a problem with the port or a processor in my computer that has to do with internet activity, but after posting the question under another forum about hardware, I was told that it sounds like a malware problem that is showing up when I get on the internet. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. This computer is to new to get rid of but I do business on it and as slow as it is, its very aggravating to work on.
Thank you.
Dylan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users