Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tracking Cookies

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shoban Sen

Shoban Sen

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:22 PM

Can anyone please point me to an authoritative definition/description of "Tracking Cookie", preferably in the Internet (i.e., not in a book)? I want to know what they are usually used for, and what they can and cannot do. I am particularly interested to find out if they can be considered as some kind of spyware, and if so what is the difference between a tracking cookie and a spyware. Thanks.

Mr. Lawrence Abrams: If you happen to see this posting, and if you have the time, you can try to explain the difference to me. Thanks.
~Shoban Sen~
I am always learning ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:30 PM

You will find a beginning definition and explanation here:

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/c/cookie.html

A more detailed description of what cookies are, how they work, and the things they do (both good and bad) is at:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/cookie.htm

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Shoban Sen

Shoban Sen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:51 PM

Thanks, John. I quickly eyed through those sites. It is still not clear to me. Are the words "Cookies" (or "Internet Cookies") and "Tracking Cookies" synonymous? I thought "Tracking Cookies" were a special type of cookies. Not correct?

I have to sign off now. I shall look for your clarification later. Thanks.
~Shoban Sen~
I am always learning ...

#4 Shoban Sen

Shoban Sen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 03:35 PM

In the absence of any new replies, I have to assume that the words "cookies" and "tracking cookies" are synonymous.

Reply only if this assumption is incorrect. Thanks.

Edited by Shoban Sen, 05 May 2005 - 03:36 PM.

~Shoban Sen~
I am always learning ...

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 03:47 PM

Since this distinction seems to be as vague as the definition of spyware, it is difficult to discuss it out of context. However, the distinction found at the site below seems to help towards a clarification.
http://www.worldprivacyforum.org/cookieoptout.html

The author distinguishes, as I read him, between cookies that are designed to allow you to use a website with personal preferences, and those that collect "...a great deal of information about what Web sites you visit and what you look at and do at those Web sites." These are often associated with cookies used by marketing companies that track your usage (profiling information) across many web pages.

The distinction made seems as good as any, but I am sure that if you do some research using Google, you will find slightly different usages.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 05 May 2005 - 04:06 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users