Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix wiped out Outlook settings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RcompRod

RcompRod

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:14 PM

FIRST OF ALL... thank you for ComboFix... whoever you are, you are a lifesaver for this Support Engineer. YOU PEOPLE ROCK!!!

I have run ComboFix a few times and it has wiped out the email account settings in Outlook... then the account has to be re-setup and the PST has to be imported. There is of course loss of the personal settings, signatures etc. Tried a restore and it was no go.

Thank you in advance for bettering the IT community

Rod

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:39 PM

That is why you should read the DISCLAIMER
There are other steps to take to prevent problems such as yours
People are in such a hurry to fix the problem, they fail to research the entire process
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 RcompRod

RcompRod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:45 PM

That is why you should read the DISCLAIMER
There are other steps to take to prevent problems such as yours
People are in such a hurry to fix the problem, they fail to research the entire process

People... even mods, are in such a hurry to reply that they do not address the issue and just cast blame.

No bleep... I have read that disclaimer hundreds of time... I acknowledge it every time I run the program. I understand the risks and accept them and if this is the price to pay for such a great tool then so be it. I am wondering if anyone knows of a way to prevent that from happening and if they would be so kind to share their experience... that is how we all learn and this is my method of researching the entire process.

Is this OK with you?

Edited by RcompRod, 10 October 2008 - 02:45 PM.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:26 PM

regarding Combofix, you might find these links useful reading

DaChew makes valid comments on http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=954297

and this explains matters further
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20950947-

If you use the tool unsupervised you can render your computer forever unbootable( and I have seen threads where this has happened )
It is quite possible you actually used an inappropriate/wrong tool in your attempts to clean the computer :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users