Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Unknown Resource ID" Error in Context Menu

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 safelder

safelder

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:49 AM

I discovered the following context menu item, which appears in all caps bold letters, last night: "ERROR: UNKNOWN RESOURCE ID" It only appears in the context menu for videos; no other file types appear affected. The weird thing is that, if I select it, the file opens just fine in either QuickTime or Nero Showtime. There do not appear to be any adverse affects to my computer from having this entry...it's just annoying to me.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Nero--no help.
I've tried reinstalling and uninstalling my previous DVD software (PowerDVD)--no help.
I've tried using ShellExView to locate the bad context handler--no help.

Any thoughts? Is there a way I can just find the registry entry and kill it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:39 AM

A quick Google reveals no such error message.

Louis

#3 safelder

safelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:41 PM

Got it. Nero 8 didn't cleanly uninstall when I upgraded to Nero 9, leaving behind its context handler. The Nero clean tool seems to have solved the problem.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:52 PM

Nice job, thanks for providing feedback on your solution...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 judy1117

judy1117

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:53 AM

thanks for the post. had the same problem. Nero Clean Tool fixed it for me too.

#6 ioke

ioke

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:39 PM

I still have this error after running the clean tool on vista can anyone help me?

#7 tuzakey

tuzakey

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:04 PM

Backup your serial number:
http://ftp6.nero.com/Nero-SerialFinder.zip

Download the cleantool:
ftp://ftp6.nero.com/tools/General-CleanTool.zip

extract/run the clean tool, set it to clean all then press clean when its done reboot
immediately after reboot go to: Start-->Run and enter: "%temp%"
delete everything in that temp folder, ctrl-a to select all then press delete, some files will not delete because they are "in use" thats fine

download this clean tool:
http://www.filedump.net/dumped/generalclea...51224629819.zip
it's different (FYI-I've never used filedump before but these forums limit the attachment size too low, scan that zip file with antivirus first just to be safe)
then extract it, run it, set it to clean all then hit clean
reboot when it's done

reinstall nero9 with the latest version off the nero site, enter your license/serial/key when it asks
http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-nero9-update.php

Cheers,
-tuzakey

#8 safelder

safelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:27 PM

For what it's worth, Nero is effing stupid. For some reason, the software is written poorly enough that this error crops up in more than just where I saw it.

I run a pretty lean install of Nero--basically just the burning elements. I use Photoshop and Premiere for photo and video, so I don't need those; I don't run a home media server; I use PowerDVD; etc. So I don't have the bad context handler. But I--and many others, apparently--have the same stupid error in our autoplay options. No adverse affect on system operation as best as I can tell, but really flipping annoying. </rant>

#9 oreo27

oreo27

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:46 AM

It's going to cause you a headache to do it manually fix it the stupid annoying things with This!. This tool can easily clean out the unwanted stuff on your autoplay context menu and free of course. Might write about this in my blog. By the way you can visit my blog here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users