Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Preview JPEG's after System Recovery

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RElizabeth

RElizabeth

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:00 AM

My computer crashed two nights ago, and did a system recovery. I'm running XP Home Edition, all updates have been installed since. Right now AVG Antivirus is running in normal mode.

When I went to open my owner folder (in the documents & settings folder), where my previous settings and My Documents folder was, access was denied. I started in safe mode and changed permissions on the folder, including subfolders which were also locked. Started up the computer normally, and now I can open all my owner folders including My Pictures, but can't get a preview of the pictures. The default picture viewer is Windows Picture and Fax viewer. I have about 6 months of pictures not backup on disk, luckily I have most of those photos on a sharing site.

Is there anyway to view these photos anymore, or did I completely loss these pictures? My antivirus is running as I type away, and I'm in fear of doing anything else to the computer until I know I can save my photos or give up and accept they are gone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:42 AM

Try an experiment if you have a picture editing application; use that to see if you can open the .jpeg files. At least that will prove the files are there. Let us know the results.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users