Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a Disaster Recovery CD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:03 AM

I am trying to create a disaster recovery CD. I have a PC Dell laptop with XP (3) OS.

I can't find any instructions as to how this is done.

I have Norton Ghost (NG) 9.0 installed, and NG 2003 available. NG 2003 has the capability to create the CD but 'interfers with NG 9.0.

Help please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:11 PM

Use either one of the Ghost programs to make the disk - uninstall the other one if they're conflicting.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:29 PM

I have 9.0 installed. Since the first post, I understand that 9.0 has all the features of 2003. However, I cannot find the feature to creating the rescue recovery disk (CD).

Do I have to uninstall 9.0 and install 2003 just to create the CD, the uninstall 2003 and reinstall 9.0?

Is there another way to complete this process?

#4 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:12 AM

I don't know if this will hellp BUT with Norton Ghost 9.0 and 10.0 the installation CD you got is also the recovery disk.

IMO, if you want to use Norton Ghost 2003, just uninstall 9.0 then install 2003.

Entirely up to you :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:17 PM

I'm unfamiliar with the Norton program, but would assume that somewhere there's an option to create an image of your drive - or an option to clone your drive. Depending on the media that you select to copy the image to, it'll save the image in the max file size for that file system (FAT32 ~ 4 gB). Also, some programs will split the image into CD (~ 700 mB) or DVD (~ 4 gB) sized chunks.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Guest_Illegal Alien_*

Guest_Illegal Alien_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:12 PM

Personally, I think Acronis is easier to use and works better. Normally, when you start a backup, you can select the location as a CD or DVD ROM and it will burn the disks for you. You also need a bootable Ghost CD to restore the images.

Edited by Illegal Alien, 11 October 2008 - 04:14 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:17 PM

I haven't used Ghost since it first came out - but know several people who swear by it. I'm an Acronis fan from version 7 and I swear by it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users