Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I screwed? PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 malibugreg

malibugreg

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:47 AM

I brought my laptop out of sleep and had to hardboot because it never came out. I have hardbooted, taken the battery out, and restarted, and it looks like it will go back to normal, but then all I get is a black screen with my mouse arrow that I can move around.

Is there anyone that can help? I do not have the reboot cds/dvds with my. I am working/traveling in France and need my laptop back.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:36 AM

Hi,

Restart your laptop and continuously tap F8 on the reboot (before the windows splash screen comes up). This should give you a list of start up options. Use the arrows keys to scroll to "last known good configuration" and press enter.

Does this work?

If not how far are you getting before the screen goes blank?

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:59 PM

Also try Safe Mode. If you get into Safe Mode, but still get the black screen in regular mode, there's a good chance that it's a corruption of your video drivers. Uninstalling them in Safe Mode will usually remedy this (and then you'll have to install a fresh copy).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 malibugreg

malibugreg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:36 AM

Emu,

Thanks for the tip though unfortunately it does not work. It only goes back to the black screen with the mouse arrow. Any other hints?

#5 malibugreg

malibugreg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:41 AM

USASMA,

Thanks for offereing to assist, however, when I select safe mode it starts as if it will work displaying all these lines of code and then the code stops, and it returns to black screen with mouse arrow. I read somewhere that this is a common problem with Vista when you put it in sleep mode and that the only way to save it is reboot from dvd drive with vista. Is this true? Is there not any way to save it without the DVDs?

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:52 AM

OR; try any of this

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63567-po...e-problems.html :huh:

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:52 AM

Most often this sort of error is with the "startups" - and the use of Startup Repair will fix it.
You can use this link to download a copy of the Startup Repair ISO (it's a torrent): http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vist...-disc-download/
You'll need an ISO burner to burn it to a DVD (just copying it won't work).
And here's a link to our Startup Repair tutorial: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

Beyond this, I've had limited success with removing some Windows Updates - but that requires that you get into Windows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 malibugreg

malibugreg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

Thanks everyone for all your advice!!!

I am trying everything with very little success. If anything comes up new for me to try please let me know.

Once again THanks to all!

g

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:29 PM

Am off to the 'silly question' time :huh:

but...have you tried running it with the power cable plugged in and switched on ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users