Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mburrett

mburrett

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:37 AM

Hi, Sorry if this is a noobish question, I'm really not sure :thumbsup:
I am currently running an AMD 64X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 991 MHz with 3Gb of RAM.
The processor/mobo was a store bought computer with 1gb of RAM and an NVidia 7500LE inside. I have since put an extra 2gb of RAM in and replaced the 7500 with an 8800GT. Even with this amount of RAM, the computer still lags, on startup and general use. I figure this is because of the new card, so I want to ask:

Would upgrading the processor speed the computer up? I ask only about the processor since I don't want to buy a new motherboard + new RAM.

If so, what specs/brands should I be looking for? My budget is about $300 and below.
Does replacing the processor require me to install another version of Windows or is this only if I change the motherboard?

I generally use the computer for browsing, gaming and graphic programs (ie Photoshop, Rhino, CATIA etc)

Thanks for any help or input

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:16 AM

I think you should eliminate other causes of lags and performance issues before considering the CPU - a 4200+ should work smoothly for you.

Where is the 991 MHz figure showing? The 4200+ is a 2.2 GHz CPU. If the figure is just the one showing in the General tab of System Properties, it probably just indicates the CPU throttled down at system idle. But have you tried turning off Cool & Quiet in the BIOS setup, and checking if the system does run at the correct clock speed and if this alters the lagging?
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 mburrett

mburrett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:57 AM

Thanks for responding. Yeah, the 991 was just in the general tab on system properties, it says 1.79GHz now.
Sorry, what is the cool and quiet? I've only glanced through the bios setting. I haven't done any overclocking.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:15 AM

Cool & Quiet (or Cool'n'Quiet) is AMD's implementation of stepping down CPU clock speed to reduce heat output when the system is lightly loaded:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Produc...5E10272,00.html

Some folk have felt it can make the system feel unresponsive. In the BIOS setup accessed during boot up, there will be options to disable the Cool 'n' Quiet feature and have the CPU run at full speed all the time. It's one thing to try to see if that's a cause for at least part of the lag you notice.

If that cures it, we'd know, but if it makes no difference, or helps but there's still lag, we can investigate other possibilities.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 mburrett

mburrett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:21 PM

I browsed the AMD website and downloaded the newest processor driver, because I had a scan through the BIOS at startup (F1), and there was no mention of the Cool and Quiet. Even after installing the processor driver, there is no C&Q in the BIOS settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users