Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kiro

Kiro

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:20 AM

Hi, I have a unique problem that I have yet to find an exact duplication of anywhere, so I have once again come to BC for assistance. I have an inkling of the cause, and the solution, but before I dive in an start working blind, I wanted to come and present my problem here for the experts to ponder and perhaps help me with.

Yesterday, I updated my computer with some optional Microsoft updates using their update software. Naturally, I was instructed to reboot my computer, but like almost every other user, I postponed the reboot as long as possible. Of course, when my internet gave out a few minutes later, I tried to resolve the problem with the requested reboot (two birds, one stone). But when the computer came back, my screen was screwed up and my mouse cursor was very large, suggesting the video adapter upgrade was bad, so I did another warm reboot and used the Last Known Good to bring it back.

All was well for a few minutes, and then my computer became suddenly sluggish. Programs were slow to load, then the Start menu became obstinate, and finally the mouse itself became choppy and unresponsive. At the same time, I started hearing a very distinct and unusual ticking from my HDD. It would tick, spin up, whir for a moment, then spin down. Then it would tick, spin up, and repeat the process. Thinking I had simply run into another driver problem, I did a cold reboot to try and get into the system restore, but from the "Directory Service Restore Mode" (the only mode I can get into that doesn't hang the computer), the system restore did me no good.

Long story short (or as short as it can be now), upon entering Windows again, I can get as far as the logon screen, but once I enter my password and the computer gives me the logon sound, the HDD begins its tick, spin, whir cadence again, and the whole system hangs. I can get into the "Directory Service Restore Mode", so I'm not convinced I have a damaged or dying drive, I just think there's something wrong with the OS. Would a Restore disk repair help, or do I need to do a clean install? I think I can get into my drive to get data off, so a reformat won't kill me, but any easier option would be preferred.

I know I went on long and rambled a bit, but I wanted to describe the problem and the possible causes as thoroughly as possible. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:50 AM

That tick sound is called "the tick of death", this is usually a very bad sign for the hdd. I would use it as little as possible, and back up you important files to a removable media, like CDs, DVDs, flash drive, or another hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:13 PM

FWIW: I've found that loose cable connections can also produce a clicking sound on drives. You might want to remove the connections and then reconnect...nothing lost, takes about 5 seconds.

Louis

#4 Kiro

Kiro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:23 PM

That tick sound is called "the tick of death", this is usually a very bad sign for the hdd. I would use it as little as possible, and back up you important files to a removable media, like CDs, DVDs, flash drive, or another hdd.

Yeah, I was afraid of somthing like that. I'm hoping it's not that serious, but I'm certainly prepared for just such an occurrence, and I've already got another HDD just in case.

FWIW: I've found that loose cable connections can also produce a clicking sound on drives. You might want to remove the connections and then reconnect...nothing lost, takes about 5 seconds.

Louis

I will try that first before I try anything else.

Thanks for the advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users