Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update off, and never to return on?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 haun

haun

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:55 PM

Ok So i got this icon on my tool bar, and it gives me a balloon telling me that my windows automatic updater is off, and to click on it to fix the problem.

Now it takes me to the Windows Security system and I press the "Turn on Auto. Updates", it sits for a bit and does nothing. I have restarted my computer several times (for non related reasons) and I still have the same 'problem'

Now, if i go into the The system app in Control Panel it says its on.

Now. Not sure if they discontinued updates for windows all ready or if its a virus (which im guessing it is)

If some has had the same problem let me know.

Or even better if you've had the same problem and FIXED or know what is causing it, POST .

I have avast, just in case.

Edited by haun, 10 October 2008 - 12:03 AM.

Annnnd you're, asking, me...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:26 AM

First try Dial-A-Fix:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4899.html
When you open it check the boxes that say Fix Windows Update. Once those options are selected then hit go and let dial a fix run. After that is done reboot the computer. Now see if you can turn on automatic updates.

If that doesn't work, there'ss a good chance that you have an infection.
I would then post here: Am I Infected?
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Stating you problem and what you have tried so far
Good luck
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users