Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet is slow! I have DSL but its as slow as dialup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dborns

Dborns

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:23 PM

Hello
I am still having a problem with my internet and I hope someone out there can help. I have a Dell Dimension desktop that is about one year old. It runs Vista 32bit SP1. It shows 165G free of 222G total. It is hard wired to an AT&T modem. About one month ago, while working on the internet, I noticed it became very slow and sometimes froze up. I also noticed the computer sounded like it was processing something the whole time and the disk light was lit constantly. Offline work is fast and normal with no problems noted. I performed scans with AVG, Spyware Terminator, and Spybot and nothing was found. I've cleaned the thing numerous times with CCleaner. I've run the disk defragmater and disk cleaner. I then did a Symantec online scan which found a backdoor trojan. I was able to remove that but the problem still persisted. I posted a topic on BC and was contacted by a moderator and he went through numerous steps with me to find the problem. He took me through every scan, including Hijackthis, ESET scanner, and Malware Antimalware, and found the computer to be "clean", but the problem is still going on. My task manager was showing that iexplore.exe and explorer.exe were both running during internet use at around 50,000 each. At times I would also have around 15 "svchost"'s running also in the 1,000-4,000 area. I tried going through and ending each process and items on the computer would shut down. I've contacted my ISP and had the modem tested and it shows it is working correctly. The laptop and xbox running off the same modem are running normal. I've done a speed test on the internet speed and it shows I'm receiving service at the correct rate. So I've had everything tested and its still running so slow its like having dial up again, with pages taking around 10-15 seconds to load with it freezing up sometimes and kicking back in around 30 seconds later. At other times, the pages load quickly, but I can't click on anything for around 10 seconds. I don't hear the computer "running" anymore but there is still obviously something wrong.
The one thing I did notice that really got my attention was when I thought I still had the backdoor trojan, I was using disk cleaner on the AML Free Registry Cleaner. When I used it to search and remove TIF files, it would find thousands of them on my computer everytime I got off the net. When I would look to see what these files were, they would be every single little picture, icon, etc. off of the websites I was visiting. I don't know why my computer was holding all of these files all of a sudden or if thats normal.
So my question is, since everything tests correct up to the computer, what could have gone wrong inside the unit itself? Is there a driver or processor that could have gone bad, and if so, how do I test for that? Again, offline work is normal so I don't think its a virus. I really could use some help on this because it is a business computer and working online is so slow and aggravating. I hope someone can help.
Thanks
Dylan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:38 PM

Is the comp still in warranty?

Can you try a different scan ;superantispyware from

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=959604

#3 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:45 PM

Hello
Thanks for your quick reply! I have not used Superantispyware but I do run spyware and virus scans with Spyware Terminator. It does find, and remove items every so often. I'll try SuperAntiSpyware also.
Thank you. Have a great day.
Dylan

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:58 PM

another idea that springs to mind
http://www.2privacy.com/www/temporary-inte...iles-vista.html

How to delete Temporary Internet Files on Vista
If you want to delete Temporary Internet Files on Vista manually, use instructions below:
• Select "Tools"
• Select "Internet Options".
• Open the "General" tab.
• In "Browsing history" area click the "Delete" button.
• In "Delete browsing history" window click "Delete files"
•Then click Yes, and then click Close.

Note: even if you delete Temporary Internet Files Folder content, Temporary Internet Files index.dat still exists. This file can't be deleted manually as it is locked by Windows.

#5 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:30 AM

Hello
I have erased the internet files by going to "tools" before and it didn't help. I tried three times to download Superantispyware and it downloads ok, but when I click on the desktop icon, it says that "this shortcut has been changed or moved" and only lets me erase it. Same with when I click on it in the windows area. I've tried to download it from two different sites with the same outcome. Its like it won't let me download it. I did run Spyware Terminator in safe mode and it found one critical item in the malwarebytes antimalware program. Its something called "Jokeinfection" and I've found it before and removed it so for some reason its coming back. I was going to run all AVG and Antimalware in safe mode but I wasn't sure if doing it in safe mode made a difference. I'll also continue to try and download Superantispyware.
The one thing I didn't do after going through all of the online scans and hijack this and cleaning is erase my restore points. I've read in some of the other topics that you need to do that or a malacious program can keep coming back. I've thought about doing that but my last ditch effort was going to be to use the oldest restore point and see if that helps.
Sorry, I know it seems like I'm rambling on, but I want to make sure and offer all the info.
Dylan

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

Can I suggest you do as offered at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=956647

on
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=166278&hl=

and ask for the log thread to be re-opened?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users