Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected? Can't run/update/install anything to prevent or remove infections of any type

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 mathisjamie

mathisjamie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:00 PM

OK. So I saw the "Read this topic before posting a log" message and I tried to do everything on the list exactly as you described. I don't know a whole lot about computers, but I did what I could. I already had an account here. I cleaned out my temps and all that. This is where the problems started.

I downloaded Ad-Aware. The first search ran for just over 48 minutes and found 1 thing. The search never completed - I had to end it cause it made my comp lock up. I did keep the program to try later, but it would not start up again.

I downloaded Spybot. It took 4 tries to get it downloaded w/o the file having problems-not corrupted, just wouldn't work. When It did download I tried to run it, but it needed updated. I tried many times to update it, but I got an error message each time.

I own Panda A/V and I'm working w/ them to see why it just quits working on me and I have to reinstall. It has happened 4 or 5 times since March. This time was the worst cause I have crappy dial up and the thing now says it was last updated 07-17-2007. That really sucks!!!

The McAfee stinger - I can't get the file open after i download it. IE7 says it isn't a win32 file and firefox says I need another file to open it, but i couldnt find anything on their site that worked!

The sygate firewall was the last straw. I had to do a system restore to last week to get my comp operable again.

I know there are 2 updates for Windows that I need to download, but Ive got them on order cause they are WAY too big for my dial up connection to handle.

Please, someone, please take pity on me and take a look at this log. Tell me what I can do short of buying a new comp or buying vista and starting over.

Thank you so very much!

Jamie

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:55:36 PM, on 10/9/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16705)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Panda Security\Panda Antivirus 2008\pavsrv51.exe
C:\Program Files\Panda Security\Panda Antivirus 2008\AVENGINE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Panda Security\Panda Antivirus 2008\PsCtrls.exe
C:\Program Files\Panda Security\Panda Antivirus 2008\PsImSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe
C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 52\StarWind\StarWindService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Panda Security\Panda Antivirus 2008\APVXDWIN.EXE
C:\Program Files\filehippo.com\UpdateChecker.exe
C:\Program Files\CallWave\IAM.exe
C:\Program Files\Panda Security\Panda Antivirus 2008\WebProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.my.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...&pf=desktop
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - AutorunsDisabled - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [APVXDWIN] "C:\Program Files\Panda Security\Panda Antivirus 2008\APVXDWIN.EXE" /s
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [filehippo.com] "C:\Program Files\filehippo.com\UpdateChecker.exe" /background
O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: AutoTBar.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: AutorunsDisabled
O4 - Global Startup: AutorunsDisabled
O4 - Global Startup: CallWave.lnk = C:\Program Files\CallWave\IAM.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: RemindU - file://C:\Program Files\Upromise__RemindU\uprot\uproC5.htm
O9 - Extra button: Upromise IE Toolbar - {06E58E5E-F8CB-4049-991E-A41C03BD419E} - C:\Program Files\Upromise\upromisetoolbar.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Upromise IE Toolbar - {06E58E5E-F8CB-4049-991E-A41C03BD419E} - C:\Program Files\Upromise\upromisetoolbar.dll
O9 - Extra button: Bonjour - {7F9DB11C-E358-4ca6-A83D-ACC663939424} - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\ExplorerPlugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - AutorunsDisabled - (no file) (HKCU)
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupd...b?1216773725875
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftu...b?1218245838859
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa...ash/swflash.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{DDA17823-75E8-4EC7-B9BD-F236FC0CCF0D}: NameServer = 209.244.0.3 209.244.0.4
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Panda Software Controller - Panda Software International - C:\Program Files\Panda Security\Panda Antivirus 2008\PsCtrls.exe
O23 - Service: Panda anti-virus service (PAVSRV) - Panda Software International - C:\Program Files\Panda Security\Panda Antivirus 2008\pavsrv51.exe
O23 - Service: Panda IManager Service (PSIMSVC) - Panda Software International - C:\Program Files\Panda Security\Panda Antivirus 2008\PsImSvc.exe
O23 - Service: StarWind iSCSI Service (StarWindService) - Rocket Division Software - C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 52\StarWind\StarWindService.exe

--
End of file - 5045 bytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:56 AM

Hello mathisjamie

Welcome to BleepingComputer :thumbsup:
========================
  • Download random's system information tool (RSIT) by random/random from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on RSIT.exe to run RSIT.
  • Click Continue at the disclaimer screen.
  • Once it has finished, two logs will open. Please post the contents of both log.txt (<<will be maximized) and info.txt (<<will be minimized)

Please do not pm for help, post it in the forums instead.

If I am helping you and have not responded for 48 hours please send me a pm as I don't always get notifications.

My help is always free, however, if you would like to make a donation to me for the help I have provided please click here Posted Image

#3 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:48 AM

Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with address of this thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Please do not pm for help, post it in the forums instead.

If I am helping you and have not responded for 48 hours please send me a pm as I don't always get notifications.

My help is always free, however, if you would like to make a donation to me for the help I have provided please click here Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users