Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get Passed Windows Welcome Screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 2ndoneandcounting

2ndoneandcounting

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:31 PM

good afternoon.

i am a complete novice so do not flame me please I am really trying to give all the details as I recall them and do the best that I know how to do-

initial background information

I have windows xp and had problems with NT/Authority Virus last week, Windows32.exe showed as the specific infection when scanned with Windows Defender(Downloaded from Microsoft.com) , nothing showed when Symatenc scanned computer.
I do live update for Symantec at least once a week manually and it is set to Automatic Update as well.

This same virus also tried to lock me out of Task Manger.

Cleaned Computer with Windows Defender.

Cleaned computer with Malware Malbytes and A-squared Free and A-squared Hijack.
Deleted remaining suspect files.

Scanned again with Windows Defender and Symantec after cleaning/file delete and nothing came up.

Was running just fine since doing all this Saturday & Sunday.

Post Clean Put on Zone Alarm, Task Manager Fix, Revo Uninstall.

Had to use Freeware because Buget is currently tight.

Watched Youtube all night last night, Project Runway to be specific. Fell asleep wake up 5 hours later and my Computer was stuck on the Blue welcome screen.

Tried logging in with my password. Took password got Message" loading your settings", then reverts back to logging off saving your settings message.

I can get as far as seeing my screensaver with no icons loaded before it reverts automatically back to the blue welcome screen.

Did a systems diagnostic scan via accessing a black screen by pressing the F12 Button.
All components showing PASSED

Did F12 button again after that and picked HD Boot up option- Screen saver screen shows when I enter my password and then it reverts back again.

Looked up some help on the Net and Tried the following-

Safe Mode Start
Debugging Mode
Last Known Good Configuration

No error messages throughout this process.

After every approach everything reverts back to same problem. Even when I try to log into Administrator Account in Safe Mode

Only text that shows on the top of a Black screen in white letters in Safe Mode is-
Microsoft Corporation 2600 xpsp.080413-2111 Service Pack 3

If this problem has been addressed before please point the way to that thread.

If there is no solution, oh well I should have backed up everything when things were running smoothly those few days.

I have to go eat, I will check back for responses.

Thank-you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:22 PM

Do you have the Windows XP CD? If so use the following procedure to access the recovery console:

1. Put the Windows CD in the drive( make sure computer is set to boot from CD)
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. select the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
At the command prompt you can issue a variety of commands you may want to try the Chkdsk /r to start with just to make sure the hard drive is ok.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:17 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have restore disks?

Do you have a backup of your system or of data files that you deem valuable?

Louis

#4 2ndoneandcounting

2ndoneandcounting
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:23 PM

Do I change the Boot Up Option from the F12 Button?

Change to CD/DVD Drive as Boot Source but it is clearly not registering because same start, same problem appears.

Do I change the Boot Up Option from the F2 Button?

I see the Boot Order Screen.

I am given the option to enable or disable the Boot Order given.

However, no explanation of color code is given-

Options appear green then given instructions to use Space Bar to enable or disable, hit space bar arrow pops up and option turns white

When I tried to change and hit enter for new boot source to initiate I get the message "No Bootable Device Available"

"Hit enter to retry reboot or choose F2 to change Boot Source"

Had to change back to Hard Drive as Boot Option to get the computer to respond and boot back to Orginal Blue Welcome Screen.

Turned computer off and I am going out.

Any other suggestions welcome before I take it in to be looked at by a Computer Shop.

Thank-you

#5 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:21 PM

You just need to set it up too boot from cd you should have an option I think in your case the F12 option oes bring you to the boot menu. From there you would select the CD/DVD drive. If that does not work then you need to make sure that the computers BIOS is set to boot from CD/DVD.
What disk are you putting in to boot from?(should be the windows XP disc)
As hamluis stated we need to know the make and model of your computer it will help sort things out.

#6 2ndoneandcounting

2ndoneandcounting
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:09 PM

Computer is kinda old a Dell Latitude D800 Laptop

only disc in my posession is the Dell Latitude D800 Recovery Disc.

Looked around for a Recovery Disc and that's all I could find.

Loaded this disc and got nothing.

bought computer from my neighbor several years ago with XP put on by him.

computer has run like a charm for over 3 years until recent events already described.

it was an official Windows XP product not a bootleg.

System files are backed up on the Computer but not on a mobile source like CD or USB-I know, I know.

he is gone out of town until next week Wednesday, if he were here he would have looked at this for me.

so there is nothing I can do in the mean time until he comes back?

Is this a virus or a Service Pack 3 issue?

if it's a virus shouldn't I try to address this ASAP?

No back door access through BIOS?

Thanks in advance

#7 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:37 PM

The dell recovery cd should work if you can get it to boot what happens when you put the cd in there does it just skip past it or does it attempt to boot and fail. With a dell you should be able to tap the delete button to get to the BIOS and then make sure that it is set to boot from cd. If im not mistaken I do believe that the OS should be on the Dell recovery cd.

Edited by ice2921, 09 October 2008 - 08:39 PM.

#8 2ndoneandcounting

2ndoneandcounting
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:01 PM

when i put the disc in the cd drive, the system completely ignores the disc.

keeps on booting from the hard drive back to the password screen that will not let me in.

even after setting to boot from cd.

i'll try hitting the delete button while the computer starts up.

#9 2ndoneandcounting

2ndoneandcounting
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

ok.

made copy of xp recovery disk under the xp boot section.

would not load.

turned computer off and on at least 8 times and re-inserted the disk each time.

on 8th try surprised i see a real error message since all day all i have seen is that looping welcome screen requiring my password.

message given-

File \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded.

The error code is 7

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

microsoft.com mentions faulty RAM and inappropriate BIOS settings as reason for error.

only bios change i made was trying to set boot up from cd/dvd.

#10 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:32 AM

Ok since that error code refers to the memory and the BIOS at this point we need to make sure of a few things.
1 is your cd drive working since you stated that your BIOS was set to boot from CD
2.that your BIOS is functioning correctly
3. that your memory is functioning correctly.

First we can checkoff number one and number two,with your models diagnostic CD this will tell you whether or not your system is working properly. You can find the tools here for your modelDell Diagnostics

To further confirm that memory is not an issue I suggest you download Memtest86 you can find it here Memtest86 . Make sure you select the ISO so that you can boot to it. If these methods do not determine the problem then the next step is to look at your BIOS, but first things first. Hopefully you are able to use your CD drive and boot to it. :thumbsup:

Edited by ice2921, 10 October 2008 - 06:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users