Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

some icns missing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 terryco

terryco

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:50 AM

I have noticed some icons are missing from start -all programs-accesories. I can no longer see notepad, wordpad and system restore. I daresay others are missing. I only have Remote desktop, run, ease of access, media centre and system tools= computer, control panel and internet explorer ( no add ons ). I have vista 32 bit and internet explorer 7. I did have some infections recently and used malwarebytes and superantispyware to clean it. I dont know if they have wiped out the files. When i had the trojans i tried a stem restore and the icons were there then, but there was no restore point set up. I can access system restore through the control panel but its the other icons that i miss. I would be obliged of any help

Edited by terryco, 09 October 2008 - 01:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:24 PM

Right click on your desktop and select "show desktop icons".
If that doesn't work, look here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/83815-desktop-icons.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have explained it wrong, the missing files are not icons they are files that are accessable from the start -all programs accessories - such as notepad system restore etc.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:29 AM

All yours paint, calc, and notepad go to...

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories

OR

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories

if it is not the owner's account.

All of those icons in there is shortcuts... so you still have those programs. Go to your Windows folder, find the files with the paint, calc, etc. icon on it and shortcut it to the Accessories folder.

EX: calc.exe

Edited by garmanma, 11 October 2008 - 11:30 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users