Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have DSL but Internet runs like dialup....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dborns

Dborns

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:28 AM

Hello
I am still having a problem with my internet and I hope someone out there can help. I have a Dell Dimension desktop that is about one year old. It runs Vista 32bit SP1. It shows 165G free of 222G total. About one month ago, while working on the internet, I noticed it became very slow and sometimes froze up. I also noticed the computer sounded like it was processing something the whole time and the disk light was lit constantly. Offline work is fast and normal with no problems noted. I performed scans with AVG, Spyware Terminator, and Spybot and nothing was found. I've cleaned the thing numerous times with CCleaner. I've run the disk defragmater and disk cleaner. I then did a Symantec online scan which found a backdoor trojan. I was able to remove that but the problem still persisted. I posted a topic on BC and was contacted by a moderator and he went through numerous steps with me to find the problem. He took me through every scan and test there is and found the computer to be "clean", but the problem is still going on. I've contacted my ISP and had the modem tested and it shows it is working correctly. The laptop and xbox running off the same modem are running normal. I've done a speed test on the internet speed and it shows I'm receiving service at the correct rate. So I've had everything tested and its still running so slow its like having dial up again, with pages taking around 10-15 seconds to load with it freezing up sometimes and kicking back in around 30 seconds later. At other times, the pages load quickly, but I can't click on anything for around 10 seconds. I don't hear the computer "running" anymore but there is still obviously something wrong.
So my question is, since everything tests correct up to the computer, what could have gone wrong inside the unit itself? Is there a driver or processor that could have gone bad, and if so, how do I test for that? Again, offline work is normal so I don't think its a virus. I really could use some help on this because it is a business computer and working online is so slow and aggravating. I hope someone can help.
Thanks
Dylan

Edited by Dborns, 09 October 2008 - 10:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:49 AM

Hi Dylan - Are you on a Wired or Wireless Connection????

#3 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:01 PM

Hello
I'm sorry, I didn't explain that in the first submission. The Dell desktop that is running slow is hard wired to the modem. I've tried replacing the wire and that didn't help. I'm wondering if the port that the wire plugs into has gone bad or is having problems? I know a little about computers but not much so sorry for the vague info.
Any help would be really appreciated! I'd hate to have to get another computer already.
Dylan

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:44 PM

hi,, if its working fine off line, you could still have nasties and when opening an internet connection they are contacting back home,,, go to the ,,, am i infected and what should i do forum on this site and post there with all the info,,,, you may have already done this, but there is clearly still a problem,,, be paitent there as the security gods are very busy but there help is very good and very,very thorough.
Good luck with this.

just another thought,,, i wonder if all the packages are being sent and recieved,,,, open command prompt,,, type into the start menu search box,,, cmd,,,, press enter,,, then type this command,,,,ping www.google.co.uk,,, note the space after ping and dont type in the commars,,, if your connection is ok it should send and recieve 100%,,, have a look at this snip.[attachment=7891:Capture.JPG]
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:11 PM

Hello
Thank you so much for the reply. I have not tried the "Am I infected...", but I will do that now. I did the ping test and it shows that all is okay. Thanks again for your help. Its really nice that people like you are out there that volunteer their time to help people like me that don't know much about computers.
Take care
Dylan

#6 iDukeHelp

iDukeHelp

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:31 PM

Hello
Thank you so much for the reply. I have not tried the "Am I infected...", but I will do that now. I did the ping test and it shows that all is okay. Thanks again for your help. Its really nice that people like you are out there that volunteer their time to help people like me that don't know much about computers.
Take care
Dylan

That happened to me a lot! Just do this. Restart the modem (find the small hole in the back and hold it in for 20 secs). Restart computer. Go to ur browser, enter the info.

Should work fine.

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:48 PM

Dborns, you have way to many antispyware applications running at the same time on your computer!

Look at all you have!:
Spybot-S&D IE Protection
WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter (which is LinkScanner bundled with AVG8 Antivirus)
Windows Defender
WinPatrol
SpywareTerminator
Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service

You really only need one or two of those programs to run full time. You can set the rest to 'manual' and run them as needed. (use Services.msc, as explained below)
I would keep WinPatrol and Spybot s&d running full time.

You can disable Windows Defender by typing Services.msc in the start search box, click on the gear icon, then scroll down until you see it. Right click, choose properties, then click on the dropdown button and set it to manual or disabled.
Disable AVG's linkscanner, IE SiteBlocker in the same way. That program is by far, the worst at slowing down a computer trying to navigate websites!!

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#8 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

Hello
Thank you for the reply. I made the changes that you suggested and noticed a little quicker response, but not what it used to be. I could not find IE siteblocker under "services". Any suggestions?
Dylan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users