Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SP2 Disabled USB Ports

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sonohuey

sonohuey

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:04 AM

Sorry, title should have been SP2 Disabled USB Ports //Post Title Edited

Good morning folks,

I have a spare computer that I recently received from a friend who works IT for a hotel chain. I am installed Windows XP on it. The computer worked fine. I then installed Service Pack 2 and now all of the USB ports are disabled.

Here is the fun stuff:
1. The keyboard and mouse must be hooked up through the USB ports. There are no individual ports for the keyboard and mouse; USB connection only.
2. There is no CD drive.
3. The BIOS is locked and I have no clue as to what the Admin password is.
4. The other bootup options of Windows 2000 and NT station will not boot - this is the reason I installed Windows XP.

Since it was a fresh install on the hard drive, I was going to move it to another computer (co-worker's) and do a re-install from there via bootup through CD. But, his computer has a password on the BIOS (which he does not know) and the computer is set to boot from hard drive and then CD if nothing is found on hard drive.

Any suggestions besides pulling out what little hair I have left?

Thanks for any help.

sonohuey

Edit: Thanks for the title edit KoanYorel; greatly appreciated.

Edited by sonohuey, 09 October 2008 - 10:40 AM.
Editing Title

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:30 AM

Have you gone through the entire SP2 installation process and rebooted since?
I had a client running the original XP build and when I upgraded him to SP2 the USB ports started acting screwy, reporting that they would only function at a 1.1 speed, but after a couple of reboots they came back fine.
Posted Image

#3 sonohuey

sonohuey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:37 AM

I think I can easily say that the computer has been rebooted at least 10 times since the install of SP2.

Edited by sonohuey, 09 October 2008 - 10:39 AM.

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:14 AM

Does the keyboard work at all, or not because it's USB?
If not try rebooting into safemode (press F8 as the system is booting).
If the keyboard works in there, go into device manager (right click My Computer, Manage, select Device Manager from the left panel) and delete all of the USB devices, then reboot.

If you can't get any of that to work at this point, I'd suggest doing a repair installation of XP. Try to do that with a version SP2 XP disk if you possibly can.
Posted Image

#5 sonohuey

sonohuey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:45 AM

Does the keyboard work at all, or not because it's USB?

The keyboard, which can only be hooked up through USB, does work, but not on this computer. This system does not have the usual keboard and mouse ports. Everything must be hooked up through USB ports.

If not try rebooting into safemode (press F8 as the system is booting). If the keyboard works in there, go into device manager (right click My Computer, Manage, select Device Manager from the left panel) and delete all of the USB devices, then reboot.

I have tried every version of Safe Mode. The mouse and keyboard are unresponsive no matter which way the computer is booted.

If you can't get any of that to work at this point, I'd suggest doing a repair installation of XP. Try to do that with a version SP2 XP disk if you possibly can.

There is no CD drive on the system.

It looks as though I am taking the hard drive with me to NY this weekend. My friend who gave me the system has a computer that I can throw the hard drive in so that I can boot up from CD and just re-format the whole system.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:35 AM

Bear in mind...when you format/install Windows on a hard drive on any system, it loads the drivers and registers the settings for that particular system.

When you move that hard drive and try to use it to boot a different system, it may not work perfectly, if at all.

Intel® Application Accelerator - Moving a Hard Drive to a New Motherboard - http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/sb/cs-009290.htm

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users