Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't work within infected PC.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 smokeybear

smokeybear

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:49 AM

Hi,

I have in my possession a Dell XPS laptop that is seriously infected. The owner would like it cleaned with some data backed up once done so. Usually through my own skills and assistance from this site I can get things straightened out.

This time when the machine boots into Windows it locks within 10 -15 seconds. I can get into MSconfig to disable the many things running at start up. Problem is the machine can't be cycled properly to enforce the changes. Worst is all safe boot options result in a BSOD.

It would be much easier to just wipe the drive and put a fresh install of XP on it. Any ideas how I can stay alive so to speak in Windows or access options to at least have a chance of cleaning this infected laptop?

SB

Edited by smokeybear, 09 October 2008 - 07:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:38 AM

may we ask what, if any, antivirus program is installed plus other protection programs and when last run?

#3 smokeybear

smokeybear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:49 PM

The latest AVG free AV is installed. I cannot tell what else is installed due to the fact the machine becomes unresponsive within 15 seconds of logging into Windows.

Safeboot not an option either.

#4 iisjman07

iisjman07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:00 PM

Download this and burn it to a CD:
http://www.avira.com/en/company_news/rescue_cd_.html

It's a boot CD (the avira rescue cd). Simply burn to CD, leave in the drive and reboot. It has the best detection rate of any antivirus and will rename any infected files to have a .xxx file extension.

By the way:- If you want to tick a box, use the up and down arrows and then the spacebar

Edited by iisjman07, 10 October 2008 - 01:07 PM.

#5 smokeybear

smokeybear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:35 PM

Nice...will use it a bit later today.

:thumbsup:

SB

0 user(s) are reading this topic