Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word processing

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Spunked

Spunked

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:17 AM

Hi just d/l abiword word processer and all i keep getting is " Abnormal program Termination - Runtime Error " and i tryed it again so i tryed two more times and got the same error grrrr so whats this all about and whats the fix ? - thanks . . .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:06 AM

When do you get this message, when you are downloading or when you begin to use Abiword? Is there a path included in the error message?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Spunked

Spunked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:22 PM

Hi it happens when i try to open if after d/l it and what is a " Path " , i am trying Open Office now seems to be working but i wonder what is better - byee for now . . .

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:10 PM

I would certainly choose OO.o; it has, in addition to a fully-featured word processor, a spreadsheet, drawing, and slide presentation module, as well as a database functionality. The new release scheduled for mid-month will make all of its files compatible with the latest MS Office2007 file structure. If you just need a WP, Open Office might have more than you want, but if there is a chance you might need the other functions, it is the way to go. You might also take a look at Google's on-line word processor if your need is very casual.

A "path" is something like:"C:Program files/Mozilla Firefox/defaults/autoconfig. It is a roadmap to located the file on your hard drive.

Regards,
John

#5 Spunked

Spunked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:03 AM

Ok using open office now seems ok but can t figure out yet how to add a page count as it prints out from the printer " page 1 of 5 then 2 of 5 and 3 of 5 and 4 of 5 then 5 of 5 " etc i can t get it right yet what have i missed - yikes - thanks . . . . .

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:43 AM

You can use footers. Insert footer/insert fields/insert page number. You need to print preview and make page breaks if needed.
John

#7 Spunked

Spunked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:24 PM

Yuk isn t their an easyier way to do that, it was a snap using Abi Word or Word 2000 sheech, i guess i ll just have find the path error for abi word i keep getting and post it here. Are their any free word processors that have easy page numbers that i could try out ? And is possilbe to post an attachment here i don t see anything to click on - byeee . . .

#8 Spunked

Spunked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:14 PM

Ok can t figure out yet how to get a normal page count using Open Office; and can t load Abi word getting a dll / path error so back to using old dependable word 2000 with its goof proof page count for now till i can fix umn .

But i have 2 questions about word 2000, what are the lines that randomly appear to left or right of the mouse curser when the blinking curser is off the printed text, whats that all about and can it be turned off ! ? And is possible to Auto Save(?) text as i type it in every 5/10 minutes so i don t lose what
i ve typed in so i don t lose it by mistake ! ?

Thanks - awaiting help . . .

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,718 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:00 PM

Hello Spunked,

I'm afraid I can't help you with Abiword.

Re: Word 2000 lines: I haven't used that version, but at a guess you've accidentally hit the space key and kept it down causing the cursor to run off the page and at the same time creating those lines. To remove those lines, put the cursor right at the end of the typed text before the lines start and press down on the delete key. Be patient, it may take awhile to clear out the lines depending on how much the space bar was depressed.

Concerning Open Office: To find how to format the page numbers

Open or start a document and click on Help when the document opens up.

When the Help file opens up, click on the Index tab near the upper left if that tab isn't already on top. Type in Page Number, then click on the subtitle inserting/defining/formatting under Page Numbers then click on the Display button. You will then see complete directions for formating page numbers.

I agree, this is one of the few areas that I think MS does better in. Another is adjusting text formatting in a sheet of labels.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 Spunked

Spunked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:15 AM

Dang ok you can t help me in abiword and i ll try what you said for Open office as for word 2000 the mouse curser still has the annoying lines that Pop up to the left and right and the bottom as the mouse curser moves about , can t figure it out yet its annoying must play with it . Its a long line then short line then long then short, it circles the mouse courser as it moves . and is the same size . Must figure it out .

I do think w2000 is the best i ve seen so far.

Bye For Now . . .

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:14 AM

A possibility to maybe try:

http://www.softmakeroffice.com/

Softmaker have made the previous version of their Office software available as freeware (hoping people will like it & consider upgrading to the latest...)

I've used the Ashampoo re-badged version, not extensively, but it seemed to work quite well.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,718 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:41 PM

word 2000 the mouse curser still has the annoying lines that Pop up to the left and right and the bottom as the mouse curser moves about , can t figure it out yet its annoying must play with it . Its a long line then short line then long then short, it circles the mouse courser as it moves . and is the same size . Must figure it out .

Can you provide a screen shot of those lines?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#13 Spunked

Spunked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:56 PM

Orange blossome

Drew a picture of the bloody error but it won t paste to here and and i don t see anything to use attachments here does this help i hope - thanks, the mouse cuser and the annoying lines .

_______
I
I ____
I __
I ____
I __
I
___ I____

opps some it fell apart now what dang

dang dang doesn t hold up right

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:34 PM

A screenshot is what is needed, that tells something about where the effect is being caused.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#15 Spunked

Spunked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:54 AM

Dang screen shot doesn t show the mouse curser . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users