Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings from Glendora, California

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rppellet

rppellet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:15 AM

Hi, I'll try not to waste too much of your time introducing myself.

I'm a degreed industrial engineer who has worked almost no time at industrial engineering. Most of my career revolved around the assembly and fabrication of electronic devices and assemblies. I enjoy chemical processes (plating, etching, vapor dep, etc.) most, but love being involved with design and development also.

My first computer language was fortran IV. Basic was not available in college at that time, and cobal wasn't thought to be appropriate for engineers, being a business language. I taught myself basic, pascal and C++ after I got out of school but that was years ago. In fact the first modem program I owned was one that I wrote in pascal and it zipped along at 300 baud.

My first desktop computer was a Western Digital microEngine, with two 8" floppy drives and no hard drive. My brother and I piggybacked the memory DIPs (Dual Inline Packages), added a mess of jumper wires, and doubled the ram from 64K to 128K. It was a pascal based machine (OS) and was before DOS, the apple, or the IBM pc.

I enjoy playing with computers and do it a lot now that I'm disabled. I broke my neck in seven places and use typing on the keyboard to get my hands working again. I can also now walk short distances. The doctors had sent me home after they destroyed my nerves by installing the wrong hardware. The neckbrace sprang apart, damaging nerves and left me as a quadripliegic. My surgeon's jaw dropped when I got up from my wheelchair some eight month after the operation. He and other experts had given up on me and sent me home to be a bed case.

I've worked cosmetics (creams, lotions, and lipsticks) for Kolmar Labs, smart munitions (bombs shot from hopwitzers for lack of a better description) for the army research and development command (ARDEC) and on the Mars rover, Space Technology Vehicle II, galaxy explorer, and micro-gravity experimentation for JPL. I miss working. Perhaps some day I'll recover enough to teach or work engineering again. I think I'm nearly there but I'll have to convince others that I am. I don't post a lot but if I can contribute, I will.

BTW, SADARM can be found on the web via a search. I have video of the actual trials that I think I can find ands put in an avi file if anyone is interested. Also, I have the propaganda video for MER (Mars Exploration Rover) that was made to get funding. It's history but actually fun to watch and listen to. I could upload that also. Let me know if there's interest.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:15 AM

I am sure with your knowledge of computing, you will be able to find many threads in which you can exercise your typing and help others at the same time.
Welcome to this friendly user community!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users