Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IF I do a reformat / reinstall of XP Home and start from scratch will my computer run as well as it did when new?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vespizzare

vespizzare

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:18 PM

Basically, the Topic Title asks it all:

IF I do a reformat / reinstall of XP Home and start from scratch will my computer run as well as it did when new?

I know that the procedure is a pain in the neck and that I will have to reinstall all the programs that I have on it but I will gladly go through that if I can be sure that I will get my speed back.

Thanks in advance for the help...as usual!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:36 PM

Generally if you reformat your computer it should run better.

However, there are no guarantees. It might be the programs that you have installed that are causing it to run slow, so if you reinstall them all you could be back where you started.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 vespizzare

vespizzare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:23 AM

Budapest,

Thanks for the immediate feedback!

Yeah, I was thinking that if I did "start from scratch" I would limit the new programs that I install to only the ones that I really need. I have a backup laptop that is now being used as my primary laptop because it runs SO much better and it has all the programs that I would be installing on my other laptop (besides Adobe Photoshop). I am sure that it is a virus issue or some other Malware thing. I just downloaded and I am in the process of reading the TweakGuide for XP that I found a link to on this forum. So far it looks pretty good.

I also use Avast antivirus but when I ran a check the other day there were a bunch of files that Avast said that it could not access because, it said that, the files were password protected. Does this sound right to you or have you ever had this experience?

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users