Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Better Soundcard = LOUDER ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lucidolph

Lucidolph

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:39 PM

Everywhere I go people say the soundcard doesn't effect your loudness...

Please tell me then.

I had PC 1 with soundcard, and HEADPHONES and maxed out PC volume.
T'was LOUD!

I then had PC 2 with ONBOARD soundcard and the SAME HEADPHONES and maxed out PC volume
T'was not LOUD!

(There is not just a slight difference either, it's HUGE!)

Also, I has Vista now as opposed to XP ...

Please Resolve perhaps =P

P.S. Don't reply with, 'Downgrade to XP' etc, I know Vista sux =D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lucidolph

Lucidolph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:43 PM

OH! Also, I believe my new SoundCard is HDsound =/

And finally my HEADPHONES are here,

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/Unitone_HD_3...phones__6402949

^_^ Peace

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:57 AM

The output level can vary between systems, but not usually to a huge degree, or it would cause compatibility problems.

However, most recent sound "cards" (whether onboard or plug in card) provide a line level output which is designed to operate the light load of an amplified speaker system. If you plug headphones directly into them, they can't drive the phones very loud.

A few systems have a soundcard with an amplified output, designed to drive headphones or modest speakers directly. These will run headphones at a loud level - maybe your PC 1 had this type of sound output.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:53 AM

You will be amazed at the difference a reasonable set of speakers make
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Lucidolph

Lucidolph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:57 PM

The output level can vary between systems, but not usually to a huge degree, or it would cause compatibility problems.

However, most recent sound "cards" (whether onboard or plug in card) provide a line level output which is designed to operate the light load of an amplified speaker system. If you plug headphones directly into them, they can't drive the phones very loud.

A few systems have a soundcard with an amplified output, designed to drive headphones or modest speakers directly. These will run headphones at a loud level - maybe your PC 1 had this type of sound output.

Hmm... Would you know where to look ??? =)

I can see (at the back) the usual RED/GREEN/BLUE =/

Thanks =)

#6 Lucidolph

Lucidolph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:18 PM

I can't find anything on the net that'd suggest where I might find a separte HEADPHONE port on my PC... =/
Anyone?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:49 PM

Headphones sometimes plug into whatever CD/DVD drive a system has.

I just did a quick scan of my drives (I have 5 of them lying around) and the older ones have the headphone jack in the front, while the newer ones don't. That's probably a reflection of the fact that my older ones are CD-burners, while the newer ones are DVD-burners.

Louis

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:29 PM

Not many systems would have two outputs, one dedicated to line-out, another specially for headphone.

Usually the single output is either automatically capable of driving headphones/small speakers, and this also serves as line out, or you can select the operating mode in the soundcard Properties. There may be a taskbar applet to run, or on my laptop here if I right-click on the taskbar volume icon and select Adjust Audio Properties, the Speaker Settings section offers several output configurations including Stereo Headphones.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 Lucidolph

Lucidolph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:02 PM

On Vista, I only have the one option... Stereo Speakers =(((

Or do i? =/

0 user(s) are reading this topic