Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating drivers

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 shortmantuff

shortmantuff

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:10 PM

Hello. I was wondering if there was a program that detects drivers in your computer that need to be updated, and that was free? I've tried the free downloads that detect, but make you buy before they will download the driver, and they say I need a bunch of drivers updated but whenever I go to into control panel>hardware and sound>device manager>update device drivers (I have windows vista) and try to download them manually they say they are up to date. Is this just the program trying to make money, or do my drivers actually need to be updated?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:13 PM

Personally I don't bother updating my drivers unless I am experiencing problems.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:19 AM

I follow the same procedure as Budapest...there's no point in asking for trouble :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 shortmantuff

shortmantuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:21 AM

I am experiencing problems. Lately my speakers and battery life have been freezing. I'll go to turn the sound down and it wont, then I'll click on my taskbar and then a message will show up "Windows Explorer is not responding" If I restart it a couple times (never on the first time will this work...) it will work again, but rarely does this fix the problem. This is happening to me a lot. Any suggestions?

#5 shortmantuff

shortmantuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

When I ran the driver update, my speakers were one of the ones that it said I needed to update, that's why I asked the first question.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:54 AM

My take on driver-update programs...why use something to find out...information that is readily available when needed? In answer to your question about why such programs exist...the same reason many things exist...someone intends to make money by selling something to the knowing and unknowing :thumbsup:.

The primary premise behind such programs seems to be that users don't know what drivers are and when they should be updated.

My experience is that either Device Manager or XP itself will let me know when I need to install a driver. Event Viewer will help me pinpoint the area where an update might solve a problem.

What errors do you see in Event Viewer...which might indicate a problem with one of your drivers or audio/video functions?

Does Device Manager indicate that any devices are in need of drivers or are malfunctioning?

And, of course, you can always uninstall the current drivers (if you suspect corruption/damage) and either reinstall the same ones or update. Have you tried that (since you suspect your sound drivers)?

Louis

#7 shortmantuff

shortmantuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:33 AM

No, I havent tried that. How would I find out if I have an update? Just run the device manager>update drivers? and to reinstall it, would I need the drivers CD that came with the Comp?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:30 PM

To find out if there is an update of any sort...you must visit the respective website responsible for issuing such.

If the system has been acquired from Dell, Gateway, HP, etc...collectively sometimes known as "hoxmakers"...then that is the website which would have the drivers/updates pertaining to said system functions (motherboard/chipset, video, sound, NIC, modem, BIOS, etc.).

If the system can be categorized as "custom", it has been put gogether by someone who does custom builds or just likes to assemble PCs to suit user tastes. In that case, each component may have a different website to check for updates and you will have to check a given website for the drivers.

Example: I have ECS-manufactured motherboard on this system. I also have a Linksys NIC (I don't use the onboard NIC which is on the motherboard) which I installed. To get drivers for my onboard video, my sound, and my motherboard/chipset, I would check the ECS website for such.

I don't use my dialup modem, so I don't bother installing the drivers and I disable it in the BIOS settings.

For anything which is not a basic component on the motherboard a nd which was not purchased with the system...whether printer, scanner, etc...a user must go to the website of the manufacturer for drivers.

To reinstall the original drivers which came with any system, motherboard, device...a user just uses the CD which came with the item. If the CD cannot be found, in some cases the same drivers can be downloaded from the Web.

Edited to add: Do not use Windows Update to obtain drivers for your system. There are too many occasions when users who had no previous problems...developed problems after allowing this on their systems.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 October 2008 - 12:31 PM.

#9 shortmantuff

shortmantuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:57 AM

ok, thanks. But about my dilemma with my sound and battery freezing and windows explorer saying "Windows Explorer is not responding" Any suggestions about what I can do about that? Have you heard of anyone with this problem? This happens to me a lot.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:26 PM

Any number of things will cause system crashes or freezing. Candidates include:

Malware

Damaged system files

Hardware problems

Overheating issues, improper ventilation of system

Software conflicts

Bugs in programs

You can try to use Event Viewer to search for clues. You are looking for errors that happen at approximately the time where your interruptions occur.

I don't have a laptop, so I don't know much firsthand about those situations pertaining to such. Others here can offer their thoughts on such.

Louis

#11 shortmantuff

shortmantuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:09 PM

What is Event Viewer?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:12 PM

My error, I meant to include this link, but my brain got carried away with other things :thumbsup:.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

And another...

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#13 shortmantuff

shortmantuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:55 PM

ok, I'm trying to comprehend this thing. Do you want me to post the errors from the properties screen into this discussion?

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:12 PM

No :thumbsup:.

I want you to look at all the errors listed. Most of them will not relate to your crashes or freezing...because the times won't correlate.

I would like for you to post any/all errors noted as occurring in the same approximate timeframe as your most recent crash or freeze...if any exist.

Louis

#15 shortmantuff

shortmantuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

ok, it froze again and I wrote down the time and these events happened...it was between 1:53pm and 1:54pm so I put both of these down

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 10/15/2008 1:53:28 PM
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Blane-PC
Description:
The program Explorer.EXE version 6.0.6001.18000 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: b28 Start Time: 01c92eee5593ee94 Termination Time: 0
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Hang" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>101</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-10-15T17:53:28.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>37883</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Blane-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Explorer.EXE</Data>
<Data>6.0.6001.18000</Data>
<Data>b28</Data>
<Data>01c92eee5593ee94</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Binary>430072006F00730073002D00700072006F00630065007300730000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 10/15/2008 1:54:27 PM
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Blane-PC
Description:
The program rundll32.exe version 6.0.6000.16386 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: 15f4 Start Time: 01c92eeefafcd774 Termination Time: 37
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Hang" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>101</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-10-15T17:54:27.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>37886</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Blane-PC</Computer>