Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Access Owner Account On PC

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Logix69

Logix69

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:05 PM

i had a problem with my computer which forced me to do a system restore but without deleteing the files and when i logged on i could no longer gain access to my files as the computer created a new account, and the computer will not allow it to acces my old account i can acces all the others on there but not this one.

also it is not password protected.

any help would be greatfull

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:08 PM

You may need to take ownership of the files to be able to access them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Logix69

Logix69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:11 PM

i will give that a quick go and i will be back to let you know how i got on cheers budapest

#4 Logix69

Logix69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:10 PM

thanks alot budapest it worked i gained acces to my resticed files but all the software on my computer will no longer run un this new account any ideas?????

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:11 PM

When you go to C:, using Explorer view...how many Windows folders do you see?

Take a look in Control Panel/User Accounts. Do you see your old account and your new account?

Louis

#6 Logix69

Logix69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:15 PM

hi there i only see one Windows folder and im the only account holder on the system.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:23 PM

What "account" are you referring to?

If all your files are still there...what is it that you cannot access...and what is the exact error message you receive?

Louis

#8 Logix69

Logix69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:26 PM

error communicating with kernel, and yes all my files are there and i am referring to the new account that was made after the system restore.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:31 PM

"Account" is not an exact term. When most persons use this in connection with XP, they are referring to user accounts in Control Panel.

None of us can see your system.

You really need to be descriptive and specific in telling us what you are trying to do...any error messages that appear...and when they appear.

When you look at this account...exactly where is it and how do you try to "access it"?

Louis

#10 Logix69

Logix69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:27 PM

ok then i am the only user account on this computer, when i did a system restore it made a new user account and would not let me access the old user account but i have solved this by starting up in safe mode and right clicking on (C:\Documents and Settings\Owner) folder and going to security settings and giving full access to the new user account which mean i can access my old documents and things though (C:\Documents and Settings\Owner) as the new user is under this dir (C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-U2KZFIB7P1)

The error message i am getting is from clicking on a shortcut in the start menu it comes up with (error communicating with kernel)

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:56 AM

The error message i am getting is from clicking on a shortcut in the start menu it comes up with (error communicating with kernel)

Do you use NOD32 by any chance? You may need to reinstall it if you're getting this message.

I have a similar problem....

scooterpd, please start a new topic. While your problem appears to be (and likely is) the same as the problem being discussed here, it may not be. Thus, it is preferred that we adhere to the One Problem/One Computer/One Topic guideline.

#12 scooterpd

scooterpd

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:48 PM

scooterpd, please start a new topic. While your problem appears to be (and likely is) the same as the problem being discussed here, it may not be. Thus, it is preferred that we adhere to the One Problem/One Computer/One Topic guideline.

Thank you. Here is the link to the new topic... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/240507/after-system-restore-seperate-account-exists-under-docs-settings-but-no-where-else/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users